Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.3L Vortec Marine Intake Conversion Helpfull Hints:

thats nice!!! B-E-A-utiful
    Any more pics?? I just cant get enough of this conversion!
    Maybe i could buy ya a plane ticket and you could come help me out with it?? hahahaha jk
    We went all the way down past your place there in Ft. Worth to pick up a GN before.
    It's not that bad.... Bring it up!

I am kind of a novice at the moment doing research on modifying am s-10 engine. I was wondering since you don't like FMU's, do you update the fuel mapping to deal with the changes the turbo and the injectors cause?
    You use www.HPTuners.com Their programmer and a laptop you have access to all the engine perameters you need to change the fuel and timing. (both are important)
    The fuel map isn't looked at on our V6's very much. The main function you need to change right off is the PE (power enrichment) Your stock perameters will target a actuall AFR in the 13's which is too lean for a force induction engine. (11.7AFR is where I set ours at with a wideband that actually stays in the truck)
    The timing tables are a bit too agressive for boost up in the upper RPM range and in the mid range since you have boost there.
    There are alot of other peramters you can change and benifit from like disable any check engine light codes and tire sizes/speedo change/MPH limits/Trans shift firmness.
    So it's well worth the money for the programmer.
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 08-20-2009 at 06:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How far is the drive??
    Oh and i already have a custom datalog tune on my truck. So i would like to tune it for the injectors. but how the he** would i get it back? haha unless you can tune it so i can make it home to get it retuned??

Yep... I got HPTuners here on my laptop. It's a 100.00 VIN fee everytime I do a new vehicle. That's my cost that HPTuners charges me.
    My Zip is 46514 at the shop.
    Do a map quest.. .I can e-mail you my contact info if your up for a road trip
    ~Scott
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 08-20-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Ok so... its 1100 miles from me to you one way . I think im going to bite the bullet and try it on my own with some help down here. I dont think my truck would like a 2200 mile road trip with a 4/7 drop on it for just an intake manifold. But i will send ya and email when i get ready to do the swap so i can ask questions as i go along if i have any!!

Well i do want to go turbo as well. but i dont have the money for all the parts yet, im having to piece stuff together. At least until tax returns!

Oh and its 74 degrees here! Im going out in shorts and a T-shirt today. Sorry, didnt mean to rub it in. ha

Yea... NO FAIR!!!!! Everything outside has 2ft of snow on it...

Bottle some of that good warm air and send it up!

Understand about the budget... One thing at a time... No problem doing it that way!
    ~Scott

well im about to buy the intake manifold... but finding the exhaust manifolds are a bish man. even on sy/ty and on ebay. Haha

hey SLO is your tranny stock on the jimmy??

Injectors

With regards selecting injectors that can be used on this marine manifold. Can any of you recommend a good source for injectors, as well as any references for sizing them?

Hmmm. Odd coincidence. I live in DFW, Grand Prairie actually, and I'm swapping on the Marine Manifold tomorrow. lol

really?? ha. where did you get the intake manifold from??

Well.. funny story on the transmission... A week after I did the turbo setup I was driving home and took off from a light... 1st... 2nd..... uh.. 2nd... Hum... Double checked the shifter... looked at the laptop I had in there.. nothing seemed wrong.
    Called my trans guy.. tried a few things.. nothing.
    Pulled the trans and took it over to him.
    As we were taking it apart a small ball/bushing fell out of the input drum.
    That's all it was. A small check ball/restrictor that was pressed into the input drum came out. I replaced that part and even though the clutches/parts ect all looked good and the fluid was clean I put in a TCI kit and had the converter flushed and checked.
    I don't think the transmission would have any trouble handling the turbo setup and it had nothing to do with that thing blowing out. That was a manufacture defect that just took that long to happen.
    I did a turbo setup on a 98 Camaro 3.8L stock engine/trans/rear end.
    It went from 15.80's all the way down to [email protected] on pump gas and radials.
    The trans seems to be doing just fine in there with just changing the shift firmness in the ECM.

The size of the injector/s will depend on what your overall plan is. If your just doing the intake then the stock Marine intake injectors will be plenty and simple to tune in.
    If your going turbo then you'd need at least 32lb/hr injectors (similar size to stock sy/ty)
    If your planning on going above stock sy/ty levels then larger are needed.
    All you'll need to change in the ECM would be the injector perameter when you switch to larger ones and maby a few small changes to Power Enrichment for WOT.
    Hope that helps guys,
    Scott!
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 08-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Wiring

Scott,
    can you direct me on how the wiring works on fuel injectors. I see you have a wiring schematic as well as a connector posted. the detail in the photo is a little grainy, I was also wondering if you would be able to send me somthing with a bit more detail and if that would is the same wiring on a 2002 s-10. If not do you know where I would be able to find this info. I know it isn't in the chilition or haynes manuals.

Injector wiring:
    You will need to cut the injector harness off at the connector.
    There are 12 wires total.
    ALL Pinks are 12volts with Ignition on. (hot)
    All the other wires are grounded by the ECM.
    You will need injector connectors for your stye or choice of Injector.(6)
    Wiring is as follows:
    (Letters are on the stock injector connector)*see picture below*
    #1 injector: (E) Pink and (F) Black
    #2 injector: (H) Pink and (G) Green/Black
    #3 injector: (D) Pink and (C) Pink/Black
    #4 injector: (J) Pink and (K) Light blue/Black
    #5 injector: (B) Pink and (A) Black/White
    #6 injector: (L) Pink and (M) Yellow/Black

I'll try to take a better picture. THat was from GM.
    Wires are the same color in your year and work the same way.
    I'll post a picture or a edited picture in a bit.
    ~Scott
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 01-29-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    86 Camaro 427LSX 4L80E 98mm 4L80E 3:25 Gear [email protected] 24mpg highway pulling a trailer
    92 Typhoon back in the works with Rossler Trans built 4.3L and custom suspension.

Good deal Scott thanks.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast