Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3500 top end feedback and info

Contributing Sponsor
    Yes, but occasionally since he is in the Air Force.

I have some maps from OBD1 if you don't mine long-handing them into your MS.

Is yours built?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i've got a rebuilt shortblock sitting in the garage with a crower 03050 cam in it. need to reassemble my heads whenever i get the time.

and i would appreciate even obd1 maps, just something to get me close while i get the thing running and broke in.
    Last edited by oh34v6; 08-28-2009 at 06:31 AM.

I've been reading up on the swap. My question is how well do the stock brackets work with the aluminum heads? I've searched threads but perhaps I've just missed them or something. I have seen pics of the 3.4 brackets on and the older 2.8 ones as well in the pics on the other page. I know the holes are close but I'm guessing that a few holes line up ok or is there enough meat for holes to be drilled to make them work correctly?
    MulTpI-R (3.4MPI-NV1500-2wd) one of a kind cameo el. high rpm power

MulTpI-2 (3.4MPI-T5-2wd) 3400/3500 turbo swap underway. all for power

NomaBoost (4.3TBI-NV3500-2wd) stock & broken. L67-T5 swap. big blower and torque

3 of 9

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MulTpI View Post
    I've been reading up on the swap. My question is how well do the stock brackets work with the aluminum heads? I've searched threads but perhaps I've just missed them or something. I have seen pics of the 3.4 brackets on and the older 2.8 ones as well in the pics on the other page. I know the holes are close but I'm guessing that a few holes line up ok or is there enough meat for holes to be drilled to make them work correctly?

You should have the same style brackets as the 3.1/28 in the Camaro if I'm not mistaken. They line up for the most part with drilling the holes larger on the 3400 heads. With the 3500 heads, the upper center hole on the driver's side head is the only odd one that you may need to drill a fresh hole in the cast bracket. You have the alternator on the pass side high, P/S low on the driver's side, and A/C compressor high on the driver's side in your rig?

you would be correct. i am, however, wanting to use the 3.4 brackets i have instead. what kinda compression ratio am i looking at with the 3.4 bottom end and 3500 top. I've read that its around 9:1 depending on 3400 or 3500 head gaskets and i've also heard that its doable to run 87 octane with a good tune.

Sorry, i realize this isnt the correct thread for tech questions but seems to be headed with my line of thinking right now.

NomaBoost (4.3TBI-NV3500-2wd) stock & broken. L67-T5 swap. big blower and torque

3 of 9

Contributing Sponsor
    3.4 bottom end and 3500 top end with the RWD pistons will get you about 11.5:1 or a little more depending on the HG's. For the RWD pistons, the RWD gaskets are best to use for the quench area. 3400 pistons and 3500 heads will get you the 9.1:1, and if you are crazy enough (has been done, but need an experienced tuner) you can use the 3.4 DOHC pistons and 3500 heads to get you in the 12.5:1 area or so - all these combinations have been run on pump gas (of course 91 or better octane, but the 12.6:1 car is able to run on mid-grade).

The 3.4 brackets are the same situation. When you put the heads on the motor, you will see how they have to be modified, it's not a difficult task. You will also have to cut the tab off the top of the timing cover to clear the coolant neck on both the 3400 and 3500 LIM.

well a 11.5:1 is rather high for me. i'd rather have it in the low 10s. but beyond having custom pistons made. there wouldn't be an easy way for that. I believe I have a set of 3400 pistons that i may be able to use. is there a combo that would get little higher ratio with the 3400 pistons, say close to 9.5:1?

good to know on the timing cover, would have been little worried had I not been told on that one.

3 of 9

Contributing Sponsor
    11.5 is already running in a few cars on pump gas, one guy here in FL is using the 3.4 DOHC pistons and 3500 heads (he is also .030" over) and is running on premium pump gas at 12.6:1SCR.

The best is to use the RWD 3.4 gaskets on the 3.4/3500 combo (rather than the 3500 gaskets) but then you are at about 12.3:1 with stock bore size.

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    It's running, and strong

We ran into a snag about a month ago where there was severe detonation after 3000RPM, and my suspicions are now confirmed "you must use a cam grind 270 or bigger for the 3.4 pistons and 3500 heads".
    Would I still have this same problem if I used megasquirt and a 260 cam?I didnt plan on going with a cam over 260.
    I LOVE GM

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinLyfe4dub View Post
    Would I still have this same problem if I used megasquirt and a 260 cam?I didnt plan on going with a cam over 260.
    You can, but keep in mind of the high cranking pressure and wear on parts.

Full Throttle Extreme! tkoforpresident's Avatar
    wait, so 3500 heads with l32 head gaskets equates to ~ 12.3:1 CR?

Is that even tuneable?

Pacesetter Headers, Flowmaster 80, Comp 1.6 RR, Custom Cam, Cloyes 2x Set, P&P Heads & Intakes, Ram Air Intake, Posi Rear w/3.42's and Disk Brakes, OBD-1 Swap.
    Cam and Heads by 60Inclusive.com Tune By Wot-Tech.com

With corn juice probably
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

camaro 3.4

Hi friends I´m from Venezuela.
    i have a camaro 3.4 sfi 1993 .
    it has problems whit the electrical system so i decide to install a megasquirt on it.
    I need to know which tooth Wheel it has ?
    how do you do your megasquirt install, fuel table, timing table, electrical diagrams...
    thanks

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gsune View Post
    Hi friends I´m from Venezuela.
    i have a camaro 3.4 sfi 1993 .
    it has problems whit the electrical system so i decide to install a megasquirt on it.
    I need to know which tooth Wheel it has ?
    how do you do your megasquirt install, fuel table, timing table, electrical diagrams...
    thanks

It's a 6+1 trigger (7 notches).

Half Throttle
    Im noticing that people still tend to post up on this old thread. I just wanted to let everyone know that i will do the 3.4/3500 again, but this time it will be with john's OBD1 conversion kit. I will also run 3400 pistons. After tearing the 3.4/3500 apart, i noticed one of the wires on the wiring harness was nicked. I barely pulled at it and the wire broke loose. I didn't take the time to trace the wire, but believe this could have caused my 3.4/3500 to not run right all the time.

So i believe the 260 cam could work, but you need it tuned well. I am awaiting my parts from John and Ben at WOT-tech. Once i get started i will start a new thread and will try to be thorough with plenty of pics.

Just an FYI for everyone, i decided to soup up a 94 camaro (N/A iron head 3.4) for experience before i build the 3.4/3500 again. It was fast enough to keep up with a 2004 mustang gt convertible. I have recently demodified the engine, transmission, etc. So i have plenty of iron head 3.4 parts for sale. If anyone is interested then please dont hesitate to ask as it will fund my 3.4/3500 build.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 09-19-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast