Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUD (head-up display)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HUD (head-up display)

Do all Grand Prixs come pre-wired with this feature? If yes, what would you need to purchase to add this to a Grand Prix that didn't have this option from the factory?

If Grand Prixs aren't all pre-wired, what would I need to purchase and do to add this to a Grand Prix?

Thanks!
    Matt / FullThrottleV6.com Owner
    Current Cars: 07 6.0L C6, 14 BMW M235i
    Previous Cars: 08 BMW 335xi, 02 5.7L Firehawk, 06 6.0L GTO, 99 3.8L GTP, 96 3.8L Firebird
    http://www.fquick.com/epic
    http://www.mattbohlman.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If they don't come prewired, you would need to purchase the prewiring.

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    I always wanted to put one of these on an F body, but I don't know if its even doable.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Not all grand prix's have hud. However most were prewired up to 99 for sure(gt's and gtp's). 00 and up it depends which option code the car has. Mainly cause i could have the option group with hud but had it deleted from the order sheet which means the car will have the wiring but no hud.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    Not all grand prix's have hud. However most were prewired up to 99 for sure(gt's and gtp's). 00 and up it depends which option code the car has. Mainly cause i could have the option group with hud but had it deleted from the order sheet which means the car will have the wiring but no hud.
    Which Option code does the car have to have to be pre-wired for HUD?

It moves !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lo_jack
    I always wanted to put one of these on an F body, but I don't know if its even doable.

would be nice for track that way i woun'd have to look around for things like AFR and boost
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

Hey Flyin' what does "prewired" entail? All of the signals that needed to be tapped had a lead out for the HUD, and the HUD mounting place was ready to accept an HUD unit?

Reason I ask is, if a non prewired GP can get the wires and an HUD and hook it up, what really is there to stop anyone from doing it to any car (say, an F body)? I bet its more complicated than that though, ay?
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

Bad new guys. The HUD might be able to be wired into your car, but there is one crucial part to make it work properly. The windshield of the HUD wielding cars are differently designed with a "wedge" in between the two layers of glass that compose the windscreen. This non-parallel surface allows the driver to see a relatively un-distorted HUD display. Without this layer, it would be about as if you were reading a newspaper resting on your dashboard that is reflected onto your windshield under regular lighting conditions. I think this would be pretty expensive to try and make it happen in a Firebird as compared to a non HUD installed Grand Prix.

I wish it would be easier to accomplish though as I'd love to increase my e-peener size by having an F-body with a HUD
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

When i say prewired i mean you pull out the cluster and the connector is there for the hud. Also next to the radio is the connector for the switch. All you need to do is plug the stuff in and get the trim pannel and cut a hole in the dash. Its a few hour job mainly to cut the dash.

Next off, if car that doesn't have hud and doesn't have prewiring can have hud. You just need to skematics and you can splice into the necessary signals to make it work. Many people have done this on grand prixs that don't have hud. Lucklily its not really bussed with anything so its bascily like a simple instrument cluster. Now the 04 and up gp's i think are bussed very much like the c5 hud. Also remember there are huds in older bonnievilles and gps that don't use any bus systems at all that could be good for retrofitting into cars that were never intended to have hud.

Thirdly, the windsheild from gm is not special in anyway. It is a normal winsheild that has been inspected for clearity. It was believed for a long time that winshield had a special laminent on it in that area however info was discovered that said otherwise. However there are many people who have added huds with nonhud winshields and it it is clear and easy to read. For example though bmw's new hud system in the new 5 and 6 series do use a special winsheild.

So yes you can swap a hud into your firebird or camaro if your paitent and are good with circuits and skematics. Like i said just look out for bus protocal lines some have them some don't. Improper bus signal = no workie right.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

hey epic, according to GM, it's a Head-Up Display... no s. It makes sense when you think about it.

/pedantic
    Matt M
    Used to be down with the Sixxness
    2007 fully-loaded Z51 C6

Hey cool that's great info, should help anyone do this GP or otherwise.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

Anyone have any info about HUD on say a 93 GP SE Coupe with sport appearance package (B4U).....Im picking one up soon and want to put HUD in it. Had it in my 89 Turbo Prix, loved it, and miss it. I'm curious as whether or not it would be prewired with the HUD plugs? 3.4 DOHC if that info is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Double K.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenzy
    Anyone have any info about HUD on say a 93 GP SE Coupe with sport appearance package (B4U).....Im picking one up soon and want to put HUD in it. Had it in my 89 Turbo Prix, loved it, and miss it. I'm curious as whether or not it would be prewired with the HUD plugs? 3.4 DOHC if that info is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Double K.
    I think the older cars were. I don't recall reading about anyone going through a lot of work to add it to the older cars. You can go to the 88-96 section of club gp to find out for certain
    Its just a stock GTP with a CAI
    http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=394
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathogen
    It has to be like watching a bad game of Jenga

gp's were prewired for hud up until midway through 99. Then the only way there were is if the correct option code was selected other wise there were no connectors. I don't think any 04 and up gps were prewired if they didn't have a hud.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

00 and up GP did not come with a prewired HUD. Sorry to say. Check out the national grand prix board to get more info on this.

Still, you can wire up a HUD, its not that hard is what I was told. The only hard part, do you have the guts to cut into your upper dash?? It has to be a pretty good size one too. Thats it. For having a special windshield, if you a drive a Grand Prix, your stock windshield would work fine!
    Danny
    2004 Silver Grand Prix GTP, completely stock!
    2004 GTO, M6, Ported TB, SLP Pully, SLP CAM, JBA Shorties, JBA catted midpipes, Flowmaster Exhaust, and tuned by some speed freaks from Turbo Connections!! 346.7hp 351.2 ftlb torque!Pacesetter LT Headers coming soon!!!!
    1968 GTO SOLD 1-2-08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast