Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HUD (head-up display)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP
    i also talked about this fact a few posts up. They are the same. They do have different part numbers though. The hud winsheild is inspected for clearity using some machine. Other then that they are the exact same winsheild, one is guarented to be clean.
    I know you did, I just like hearing myself talk lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Contributing Sponsor kelly@pcmforless.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret.CFD
    The windshields are different. If you look at one with HUD in it check out the glass where it reflects off. There is a noticeable difference in the appearance of the glass and it is in the shape of a rectangle approximately 3 X 4 inches.
    I think what you are seeing is merely the reflection of the HUD 'screen' onto the winshield. Put a piece of paper over it and the 'noticeable rectangle' will go away.

huds aren't really that hard to wire in. mounting for a non hud car is probably the hardest part. like Flying GTP said, just tap into the matching wires of the cluster harness. might give gearhead43's site a look at, or contact him if the wiring schematics for your year of hud isn't on his site.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/gearhead43/DavesGP/hud.html
    this will give you a good place to start.
    92 Lumina Z34. p&p lower intake, tapered t.b, ffp chip & dogbone, 13* exhaust cams retarded, & the 1st Lumi w/HUD!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougsgtp
    sadly you are wrong, look at a non hud and hud windshield from a car out of the car, there is no difference. Ive seen the two side by side out of a car, and if you didnt know which one came from what car you could never tell.

and also I have a windshield in my car that came from a car that didnt have hud and its just as clear as the old windshield
    O'kay, I had a windshield replaced on my GTP. The place that replaced it used a regular windshield first. They took the car back and replaced it with a windshied HUD ready. I don't think they would have went thru the added expense if they didn't have to. Do you?

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret.CFD
    O'kay, I had a windshield replaced on my GTP. The place that replaced it used a regular windshield first. They took the car back and replaced it with a windshied HUD ready. I don't think they would have went thru the added expense if they didn't have to. Do you?
    trust me they are the same winsheild. I've also had mine replaced and so did a buddy of mine with a hud car. We both went with nonhud winsheilds because there cheaper then the hud part number. The only thing is that its possible that it could be blury if you get one that was subpar. Both ours were fine and the hud is uberclear. By not getting the hud part number that means they were not inspected for clairity. So it might be blury. Its an at your own risk thing. Neither of us were dealing with insurance companies on our winsheilds so cheaper = better.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

man, I thought was nuts. I went out that day to check out my friends HUD windshield and check mine and we couldn't find anything different.

Hooking up a HUD isn't that hard, maybe this Summer, I'll break down and get one and get the Club GP members give me a hand installing it. Then we'll take notes and alot of pictures on how to do it.
    Danny
    2004 Silver Grand Prix GTP, completely stock!
    2004 GTO, M6, Ported TB, SLP Pully, SLP CAM, JBA Shorties, JBA catted midpipes, Flowmaster Exhaust, and tuned by some speed freaks from Turbo Connections!! 346.7hp 351.2 ftlb torque!Pacesetter LT Headers coming soon!!!!
    1968 GTO SOLD 1-2-08

Quote Originally Posted by Krenzy
    Anyone have any info about HUD on say a 93 GP SE Coupe with sport appearance package (B4U).....Im picking one up soon and want to put HUD in it. Had it in my 89 Turbo Prix, loved it, and miss it. I'm curious as whether or not it would be prewired with the HUD plugs? 3.4 DOHC if that info is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Double K.
    I think the older cars were. I don't recall reading about anyone going through a lot of work to add it to the older cars. You can go to the 88-96 section of club gp to find out for certain
    Its just a stock GTP with a CAI
    http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=394
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathogen
    It has to be like watching a bad game of Jenga

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    gp's were prewired for hud up until midway through 99. Then the only way there were is if the correct option code was selected other wise there were no connectors. I don't think any 04 and up gps were prewired if they didn't have a hud.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Thanks CF!!! That site was mainly for 88-90 GP's GM was always changing pin out locations on their wiring pigtails.. It's a PITA following it year to year...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    Not all grand prix's have hud. However most were prewired up to 99 for sure(gt's and gtp's). 00 and up it depends which option code the car has. Mainly cause i could have the option group with hud but had it deleted from the order sheet which means the car will have the wiring but no hud.
    Which Option code does the car have to have to be pre-wired for HUD?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    trust me they are the same winsheild. I've also had mine replaced and so did a buddy of mine with a hud car. We both went with nonhud winsheilds because there cheaper then the hud part number. The only thing is that its possible that it could be blury if you get one that was subpar. Both ours were fine and the hud is uberclear. By not getting the hud part number that means they were not inspected for clairity. So it might be blury. Its an at your own risk thing. Neither of us were dealing with insurance companies on our winsheilds so cheaper = better.

They are indeed the same windshields.. Some guys have talked to the Assembly plant (Fairfax KS) workers and they stated that there was an optical Sensor that was used to scan the windshields for "reflectivity" The ones that reflected the most light where given the HUD part number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12