Thread: 96 Camaro 3.8 Bad Injector, Burnt Valve, Bad Lifter

96 Camaro 3.8 Bad Injector, Burnt Valve, Bad Lifter

little bit of back story, car had this misfire since I started my turbo build, drove the car no problem
    even with the misfire, always Idle smooth-ish, changed my plugs twice during the span of 3 years since I
    owned the car, wires have been changed twice during that time as well, ICM as been changed three times now
    coils have been changed twice, and I've Cleaned the injectors once this past year..

with all that said, the misfire at idle remain during all of these changes...
    however it got really bad when I swapped in a 97 PCM to start tuning, I though maybe
    the PCM was bad so I swapped my 96 back in, and now the idle is pretty much switching between 14.7 all the away lean to 18.0
    and it's always going lean during acceleration.

if there's a 3800 guru out their, I need your help (even though I know this is going to end with me pulling off the heads anyways)

Say It To My Face

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    Is it a po300 code or certain cylinder? What injectors do you have? What’s your fuel pump? No vacuum leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1996Camaro View Post
    Is it a po300 code or certain cylinder? What injectors do you have? What’s your fuel pump? No vacuum leaks?
    I get the p0300 for sure, no cylinder, but I do have hp tuners, and it showed that most of the misfire was on cylinder #2.
    I have the stock injectors, running a Quantum 255 aka HFP-343 no vacuum leak that I can hear or see
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Since you need bigger injectors anyway , might wanna replace them with bigger injectors. See if that helps. Since you’ve added the turbo depending on how much boost your going to run I would get 42lbers to 65lbers. I run 65lbers on mine. Which actually are 60lbs on our fuel system.

Light Throttle
    Also what spark plugs you using and what gap?

NGK tr6, didn't check the gaps, but I see online it says gapped to .039, I see some people online saying they don't come gapped, and I never checked them, rookie mistake?? not even sure if that would be the problem.
    but at this point I think that would be the next step before compression testing..

what injectors did you buy, theirs so many options, and some are upwards $500
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Yeah the tr6 comes pre-gapped .035 their good, I got my injectors from Intense Racing 65lbers, think they were like $250. Might want to try them. Remember their around 60lbs on our fuel system, so scale them around 60 on Hptuners.

hey do you have a tune file I can do some comparison on, the PCM I'm using came out of a 97, and so did the file, had no way of pulling, or using the 96 Manual file.
    the car also runs much better with the 96 PCM than it does with the 97 PCM, can't tell if it's with the fine file or the PCM itself that is causing the problem.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Just use Hptuners respository, a lot of stock 97’ files. That’s what I use, I went from a M5 to A4 in 2007. Alot of info on Hptuners too.

I've Compared quite a few files, and they all seems pretty much the same apart from the trans stuff, but I'm not sure if the trans part of the tune would cause it to run much worst then with the 96 PCM installed.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    What kind of problems do you have when you switch pcms?