Thread: 96 3.8L Turbo Build

96 3.8L Turbo Build

Good Day/Night

Bought a Green Colored 96 Camaro with a 3.8L S II /w 5MT, that was about 2 year ago
    at this moment I have the timing chain cover off the car with the intention of drilling a hole, and add a Turbo Drain Plug, this is
    what I'm looking at
    20210609-183103.jpg
    My only issue is, where do I place the bung, and It won't be a welded one because I don't have a aluminum welder
    also, this is the turbo kit that I will be installing, I've already removed 8 of the 12 manifold bolts, the other 4 are just loose to keep it in place
    S-l1600.jpg
    All ideas/advice are welcomed
    Last edited by LuminousX; 06-18-2021 at 11:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    You’ll have more room on the oil pan, for the return line.

found out that base on that turbo kit I have, I can just run it to the valve cover if I clocked it a little bit, and get some angle to drain.
    thanks for the reply thou.

P.S the most time spend was finding out what fitting would tee into that oil sensor port, took me days to find out that it's 1/4 NPT
    hope that helps someone out...
    Last edited by LuminousX; 06-18-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Light Throttle
    You’ll want it above the sensor, I ran a -10an line.

I've gotten most of the turbo system put together, was told by someone at PCM for less that they could tune the 3.8l PCM
    only to ship it out, and then be told that they only tune the v8 LT1's.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    You’ll need a 97’ pcm , direct swap, just make sure you get the right trans. I would go with Hptuners and tune yourself.

yeah, that's what I intent to do in the near future, I will post some pictures of the build soon, maybe some folks can get ideas based on how I did mines...
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    There’s guys that have finished their builds on Camarov6.com, mine will hopefully be finished this year.

did a short video on the car after taking it on about a hour drive, a lots of traffic just to see how the temp will hold up, I do have my fans on a switch, so that does help...
    feel free to ask any questions, when I do get some time I will post some pics of the stuff that is really have to see in the video.
    Say It To My Face

having a issue starting this car after moving the battery to the rear, I've ran 0 gage pwr, and 2 gage gnd to 2 terminal post I've install where the battery was up front, starter clicks like crazy, but won't turn over
    unless I jump it from the rear or the front of the car, my booster pack that would work all the time only works 1 in 10 times, I thought it was a pwr issue so I added a 2nd battery in series
    with no luck, I know for a fact it can't be the pwr delivery from the battery because when I try cranking the car it doesn't even drop below 12v because 2 battery are hooked up, it needs to see at least 13v
    or more in order for the engine to turn over, I figure this out by having my other car charge the battery while it was this in the camaro, after maybe 2 mins I remove the jumper cables, and the car starts
    with no problem due to the fact that the battery as a higher surface charge than 12.6v, if this was a gnd issue I would assume it wouldn't start regardless of battery voltage, and I know the cranking pwr
    between both batteries is more than is needed to fire this car, it's as if 12v isn't getting somewhere, and upping the voltage in the charging system seems to fix it somehow...

P.S if I try cranking it for too long the security light will stay lit, and I will have to wait until it goes out to try cranking again, also when I am driving the light will come on, and just go
    away after a few mins.. never did this before the turbo install... alternator is brand new.

any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by LuminousX; 08-08-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Say It To My Face

UPDATE...

the whole starting issue might be a ignition switch going bad problem, if I cycle the key enough time during the whole starter clicking thing then it will turn over maybe the 2nd or 4th time..
    I'll just add this to the list of stuff I have to do just because it's a turbo Camaro now... car runs great even though I'm not pushing any positive pressure about 0 psi, that alone as the
    Camaro pulling really strong, once I get use to that pwr I'll up it to maybe 2 psi...
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Did you have to move the battery to the rear? Also your belt route which way did you do it? I’m going to take my A/C out soon and plan on reroute the belt. Thanks

the way I ran my intercooler piping gave me no choice but to relocate it to the rear, I took out everything that as to do with the ac, and got a shorter belt

20210814_230130 (1).jpg
    to run it like this you'll need a larger pulley (I went to advance auto, and they just gave me the next bigger size pulley for the 3.8l engines) you'll also need to cut
    the black plastic that is on the left side of the crank, attached to a bolt, cut the plastic, remove the bolt, and cut the head off as well.
    p.s you'll also need a belt size of 80.5 that's the one I use, no issues, I'll try getting some pics if you don't understand how to do it.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Thanks, the battery if nothing gets in the way I’m leaving. For the A/C delete I’m going a different direction from v6buick on Camarov6.com. Should be doing it this next week.
    Last edited by 1996Camaro; 08-15-2021 at 08:10 PM.