Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 96 3.8L Turbo Build

ecm wiring

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousX View Post
    did a short video on the car after taking it on about a hour drive, a lots of traffic just to see how the temp will hold up, I do have my fans on a switch, so that does help...
    feel free to ask any questions, when I do get some time I will post some pics of the stuff that is really have to see in the video.

hey i have the same year with a v6. what year pcm do you have and what wires did you repin from the stock harness? do you have a pinout of the 96 ecm? ive looked everywhere and cant find one. im using a 2000 ecm from a v6 camaro.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    You can use a 97 Pcm direct swap. Firebirdv6.com has pinouts for the pcms. I doubt you are using a 2000 pcm in your 1996 3.8 since their not compatible.
    Last edited by 1996Camaro; 01-09-2022 at 10:35 PM.
    1996 Camaro built engine, suspension GT35R turbo build.

here's a good one, after what seems like a whole year has gone by, and me chasing after what I though was ignition problems, injector problems... all I had to do was remove the valve cover to see this rocker arm bouncing around after what seems like a drop in oil pressure after the engine stopped turning over, but I could be wrong, and that's why I'm posting it

Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Don’t know, but good luck finding the problem, I just spent $500 on a battery and starter, turns out starter wire had corrosion all the way through it. I guess after almost 27 years in was bad.

I don't know what to do at this point, I've got the lower, and upper intake removed, checked all the lifters, and they all seem to be the, looked at the intake valve that seemed to be intact as well
    think all remove the exhaust manifold to make sure the valve doesn't have a hole in it, which I doubt because after doing an engine flush, and oil change with 1 quart of MMO, I got the car to idle at 14.6
    for awhile, before that it would jump lean every few 30 sec or so.
    during this video it only does it when I rev the car up sometimes, I don't hear any knocking or ticking ever since I own the car.
    at this point I don't think I have a mechanical problem, if it was a burnt valve I don't think it would hit 14.6 and goes only -15% lean with vacuum staying at 21%
    Don't mine the noise, Luk throw out bearing is crap

Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    A/F isn’t that bad, mine fluctuates low and high. Is that middle gauge fuel pressure, should be in the 40s at idle.

The middle gauge is for the oil, my fuel gauge is on the fuel rail, driving wise I have no problem with the car, the power is still their, it's just that with the A/F all over the place it's kinda hard to tune
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    I’d worry about part throttle and WOT, you running any boost? I’m only getting 6lbs, on a 10lb spring losing it because the eBay intercooler, has about a 4 psi drop, just going to use a 14lb spring or the boost controller to get 10lbs of boost. How you tunning your idle? What injectors? Started mine today and the A/F is 12 at idle, it was perfect but the weather is changing, I usually have a winter tune and summer tune. Just need to lean mine out, you might try richening yours up.

I've only been able to hit around the same 6psi, I turned down/off the boost controller because it's untuned, I want to go with some 24lb injectors, but I spent last summer pretty much installing the turbo kit, just to have these problems, and I need to solve it either by tuning it to the moon or finding out what's the problem, I should be putting the intake tomorrow, I'm going to switch out one of the injectors for a new one, and flip banks as well to see if the problem follows.
    I'm pretty much lean on bank 2 with STFT at 14% and LTFT at 15, and the STFT doesn't change with RPMs, so I can rule out vacuum leak.. everything on the spark side is new
    so I'm pretty much point at one of 3 things low compression, burnt exhaust valve or a bad fuel injector..

PS can you do a short write up on how your going about tuning your car, would help a lot, I started with the MAF while using the fuel trims, but I never got past the idle because of the lean condition
    Last edited by LuminousX; 04-21-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Even at 6psi you’ll need 36lb injectors, unless you run a FMU to bump fuel pressure. You can get 65lb(60lb on our fuel pressure) for $250, that’s what I have. Don’t want too skip out especially on the fuel system. I just use injector flow for idle and PE for part throttle and WOT.

things went from bad to worst, I removed all the lifters, and push rod to see if any were bent or damaged, saw nothing wrong and decided to move on with replacing the intake manifold gasket upper, and lower... now I'm stuck with a crank no start, I noticed that my FPR took a crap around the same time I tried to start the engine, because I had the fuel rail off and everything was fine, no fuel is in the vacuum line, my pressure is still at 40 psi, and spikes to 60 on cranking, the coil are firing just fine.
    given the fact that I have 40 psi or more when cranking I know the car should start

tomorrow I will replace the FPR, and pop the covers off to see if anything is working right.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find the problem, coil’s and everything plugged in.

man, I wired my wires wrong... I wasn't paying attention to the firing order I pulled from the internet, after I had that figured out it started, but I'm seeing bank 2 running super rich, only on cylinder 6, I can't see the other cylinder or do injectors test because of where they placed the o2 sensor on bank 2 which sucks, maybe they did it because of the wire lent, but they sell extenders on amazon, but it's whatever
    at this point I know fuel is getting into the intake causing a rough idle, and I'm gonna have to remove in fuel rail again. makes me wonder if it was bad this whole time, and is the reason for my rough idle all this time.

Will post results

P.S my plugs were full of carbon, and black to hell.
    P.S.S my fuel pressure remained at 40+ psi, it would jump to 60 when I pull the vacuum for the regulator.
    Last edited by LuminousX; 04-24-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    Say It To My Face

Light Throttle
    Yeah I would put the maf settings to stock. Get bigger injectors, The GTP 36lb injectors are 33lbs on our fuel pressure, the 65lb injector ls 60lb on ours. Tune with injector flow for idle and PE add vs rpm and etc vs. temp for part throttle and WOT. You should be good. You’ll also have to adjust the throttle percentage to like 20% for PE to come on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12