Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold my Silverado, bought a BMW. Not a v6 :-P

4.3L moderator

Sold my Silverado, bought a BMW. Not a v6 :-P

Hey guys, I sold my project Silverado with the SBC and picked up a new project. '95 540i, 4.0L V8 & manual 6 speed.

It's not perfect, but for it's age I give the body and interior an 8/10. Someone started making it an M clone, I plan on pulling those badges off.

I picked the car up non-running, semi-knowing what I was getting myself into. The previous owner said the car ran until he changed the water pump, unplugged the battery and when he plugged the battery back in the car was unresponsive to the key/ignition.

I changed the cars computer to previous model year without the anti-theft, and took the opportunity to install a +30hp chip. (282hp to 310hp)

So now I had crank, pop, backfire but no fire up. I pulled the fuel pump to see what kind of condition it appeared to be in and found somebody's wiring fix:

So I put in a new 340lph pump and fixed the wiring:

Now I had crank no fire and massive white smoke fuming from the exhaust, smelled like raw gas and had fuel dripping from the tailpipes. A sign that a couple injectors were stuck open. Pulled them and found them oil gunked up:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4.3L moderator
    The intake looked bad too so I pulled it, cleaned it, painted it. Installed new Bosch II 4 hole injectors and a M62 throttlebody that I plugged the IAC:

New NGK plugs, new crank sensor, new cam sensor.

Installed a pair of universal E-fans:

I manual cycled the fuel pump relay for a couple seconds. Then got in, turned the key. Crank, pop, backfire, no fire up....

I pulled the plugs, dripped some 30w in the spark plug holes and put plugs back in. Crank, backfire, sounded like it wanted to catch, smoke out the tailpipes from the oil. No Fire up. I was convinced this engine had no compression and was toast, I even started sourcing a larger displacement replacement engine. I dug out the compression gauge and checked every cylinder. They all had an even 150psi:

I gave up and towed the car to a shop and decided to out source the diagnostics.... damn it.

Cheers ~Mykk

4.3L moderator
    Found one of the early M60B40 intakes with the velocity stacks on the runners in the plenum.

My current late '95 4.0L intake:

Early 1992 manifold with velocity stacks:

Some people think BMW did away with the stacks for cost savings. Others think it was a way to de-tune the engine slightly as to make the higher end model more appealing. But all modders agree the stacks are the way to go. It will get my paint treatment once it arrives.

sold the Silverado... NOOOOOO!

4.3L moderator
    I've had it for 10 years, since new. I went overboard with it. It was no longer a road trip machine. It was unreliable, and expensive to run.

I don't ever intend to mod another daily driver vehicle as far as I did with that one. I also got to a point where I didn't have enough $$ to finish it the way I wanted. Although that truck will always have a piece of my heart. This Bimmer will be noticeably modified, but not extremely to the point of where I'm asking myself "What's going to break this time" while driving it.
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 11-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Is the Saab with the carb swap still around? I think it was a Saab... Lol

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

4.3L moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Is the Saab with the carb swap still around? I think it was a Saab... Lol
    I sold it last year. It was needing a slew of chassis/brake/bearing work that the parts cost more then the car did. It was kinda cool.

I have no intention to put a carburetor on this V8.

I hear you on selling the Rado. Basically what happened to me and my '00 T67 GTP. Didn't have heat or ac anymore, prone to breaking the trans with one pull on a fresh trans, and so on. Good luck with this one! Always like the 90's beemers, and bonus on the v8.

4.3L moderator
    Finally acquired an early M60B40 intake manifold with the velocity stacks. Currently taking a dish soap/degrease bath and then will receive a pant job the previous manifold. This time I'm thinking of using a gloss black base under the Metalcast red instead of the flat red used previously. I may also use a high gloss clear coat too.

I will also install the oil catch can when I do the new intake to keep that oil sludge from building up again.

4.3L moderator
    First day on my feet after being laid out by the flu for a week, decided to start painting my 2nd intake manifold.

1st: clean and prep with chlorinated brakleen to prevent fisheeye.

2nd: Adhesion promoter primer

3rd: opt'd to lay a gloss black base.

After two coats of metalcast red the black had a hell of a sheen, but no hint of turning red. Looks chrome in the pic, in person it's a super glossy black.

I decided to push the red a bit more with a dust coat of metallic cherry red, then another layer of metalcast.

That metallic red isn't laying well, orange peeled like mad. I was going to sand and clear once cured. In the sunlight I liked the red, in the shadows it was too maroon for my taste. So I layed a more opaque layer of the metallic cherry red. It reacted poorly and turned into snake skin...

I've already taken 90% of the paint off with aircraft stripper for plastic and will start over. Next I'm thinking gloss black base, Testers transparent Hot Rod Red, many layers Metalcast Red.

You ever get it running? Did the shop have anything to say?

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

4.3L moderator
    The last I heard from the shop was that they were caught up to where I was before towing it to them, and it sat in there lot for a week. Come monday I'll cruise by, and if progress is nill I'll tow it back home.

4.3L moderator
    3 cans of aerosol paint stripper for plastic, 1 qt of brake fluid in a spray bottle. 20minutes under a pressure washer and using a pick for the crevasses. Back to square one:

I found an interesting red by VHT called Red Fire, I thought it might looks cool under several layers of metalcast.

Good luck with the new results on paint. Especially after the scrubbing the first off.

4.3L moderator
    Finally got it fired up!

I went to the shop yesterday, it was sitting in the yard like it had been for weeks. I told the shop they had the car long enough and I'm taking it back. Towed it home, pushed it in the garage.

I pulled off the harmonic dampener/crank trigger wheel and found it was mounted 90 degrees off. In fact someone mounted it 180 off and 90 off at some point in time:

You can see on the left OE dampener was bent by the alignment pin in the crank hub. I installed my donor one, although ugly, it's mounting surface is flat.

Here's a video of the first fire up. You can hear the Bosch II injectors clacking away as well as some terrible exhaust leaks. But it's running and I'm stoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozhEiCa_lEw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast