Thread: 98 Camaro 3800 First build

98 Camaro 3800 First build

Hey guys,

So I just purchased a 1998 3.8 5 speed. I have spent the past couple of weeks running through and fixing all the issues besides a couple of gaskets. I am interested in making this car a first build of mine. This car would be a daily driver. I am planning on running an SLP ram air, pacesetter headers, catback exhaust and perhaps a tune.

I know from some research that my next step would be stepping into heads, cam, etc. But I haven't had any experience with cracking into a block yet. Could you guys give me any insight into what I may be looking into? I was hoping to have an end goal of possibly making 300hp or more? Is that unrealistic? Anything that I may need to build first before I put that much power to it? I have a t5 which I know is rated for only like 300TQ, and I believe I have a 10 bolt standard rear differential.

Any help or advice for the future would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Sethw212; 05-30-2019 at 09:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You won't make 300hp , N/A youll have to boost it.

The guys at abbot racing made 270hp at the rear wheels n/a..
    So they had to be pushing 300+ at the crank. But yea , you won't see 300+ at the wheels with an n/a build unless get a stroker kit from Australia and up the cubes

Ok that's understandable. I appreciate the advice. Looks like I'll start with the bolt ons, cam, etc.

Do you think the T5 and rear diff will hold up under those specs for N/A?

Quote Originally Posted by Sethw212 View Post
    Ok that's understandable. I appreciate the advice. Looks like I'll start with the bolt ons, cam, etc.

Do you think the T5 and rear diff will hold up under those specs for N/A?
    yes should hold up its when you get into the 400hp and tq range you'll start replacing stuff.