Thread: Replacing the Fuel Pump in my 1996 Firebird 3800

Replacing the Fuel Pump in my 1996 Firebird 3800

I am working on replacing the fuel pump in my 1996 Firebird 3800 and I have a few questions.

1. In my review of this Fuel Pump issue, it seems that once the OEM fuel pump is replaced, subsequent pump replacements seem to be required more frequently. Is this because replacement pumps are inferior? I’m curious to get some feedback on what others have used for replacement pumps and what their experience has been with more frequent replacements.
    2. Wrestling that gas tank out was difficult. I see that many people have opted for the “Fuel Pump Trap Door Method”, but has anyone tried cutting the filler neck and reattaching it with a rubber sleeve and some hose clamps? I believe other vehicles use flexible connectors to connect the filler neck to the tank. If this is a BAD IDEA please speak up because I was not planning on replacing the TANK.

I’m not sure if I should have posted this as 2 separate questions. Thanks in advance for your comments. I’ll keep the forum posted with my results on this project.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't know about the tank question. But I've been running a Walbro 255 fuel pump since 2002 and its still running great. I ditched the bucket and used hose clamps to secure it. I did the trap door method, so much easier. Especially since I had to go back in and connect one of the hoses again because it wasn't tight enough.

Thanks for the feedback on Fuel pumps and Filler Necks. I placed my order today for a new OEM Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly from Rock Auto. GM# 19179527

When inspecting the old tank I noticed a couple pinholes on the side of the tank and the filler neck, so I also ordered a new Fuel Tank from Ebay. GM# 10269093

I also found a 6” flexible coupling to fit the Filler Neck at Tank's Inc., so I will be going forward with cutting the filler Neck and installing the coupling. I believe making the filler neck a 2 piece connection will improve installing and removing the tank going forward. If I can, I’ll post some pictures of the installation.

Thanks again for the feedback and support.

I just wanted to close the loop regarding my fuel pump replacement project.
    I completed replacing the fuel pump and replaced the fuel tank as well. The car now runs!

The fuel pump was replaced with an OEM pump from Rock Auto.
    The fuel tank was also replaced from Rock Auto.
    Lesson Learned was, When buying a new fuel tank, be sure to get one that includes the Fuel Pump / Sender “Locking Ring” and Gas Cap. (The first tank I ordered DID NOT come with the “Locking Ring” and Gas Cap, and my old Ring & Cap did not fit the new tank)

I also planned on cutting the filler neck and installing a Flex hose to make tank replacement easier. After doing some research On-Line, I opted NOT to cut the filler neck on the new tank when reinstalling, as this would compromise the Vent tube inside the filler neck. Eliminating the Vent tube inside the Filler Neck may have resulted in having to fill the gas tank very slowly, So I nixed that mod as well. I did cut the OLD Tanks Filler Neck to expose the internal vent Tube. I have included some pictures attached.

First picture (Filler Neck 07) shows the entry into the tank through the baffle. the copper wire is the Fill Pipe Entry. The White wire is the Vent Pipe
    GasTankFillerNeck07.jpg
    Second Picture (23a) shows the opposite end of the vent pipe inside the Filler Neck nearest the Gas Cap. there is a square hole cut in the Vent Pipe at the very end. Copper Wire peeks up through it in the picture
    GasTankFillerNeck23a.jpg

Now that the Rear Axle is lowered, I will likely be looking to swap from Rear Drums to Discs next before reinstalling the Rear End. … I’m sure that will prompt some more questions from me to the Team shortly

Thanks Again to all for your comments and help.