Thread: TTY bolts discontinued.... now what?

Question TTY bolts discontinued.... now what?

Hi All, new member here.

I have a 2002 firebird with the L36 engine. Has rod knock so decided to purchase a used motor. Got it, disassembled and ready to transfer needed parts from old engine to new engine (new engine is FWD).

So, here is my dilemma: Looks like all the bolts for these engines are now obsolete. Harmonic Balancer... obsolete, nobody sells them. Ok, no problem, reuse the old 190k mile one. But the balancer bolt is TTY (FSM says replace it). But it's no longer available. Flex plate is different between FWD and RWD ones. No problem, switch it over, right? But... FSM says discard the old flex plate mounting bolts when removed. Ok, fine. But those also are obsolete. Searched more online, found only one site that sells them supposedly ARP high tensile strength ones, but in their product description, they admit that their customers were having trouble with the bolts backing off. Searched more and discovered one guy who used exactly those same bolts and those bolts backed off after 3 1/4mi runs, destroying the flex plate. Redid it with new flex plate and added locktite and after 3 runs, backed off again destroying the newly installed flex plate again. Went back to factory TTY bolts and no problem.

This is highly frustrating. I have been spending all my time reading online about TTY bolts and everyone says toss them, get new ones. I've read so much I now know the science behind why they need to be replaced, like they act like worn springs and lose the ability to properly tension the parts together. OK, I get that. But in the absence of new bolts, what does one do? Ok, admittedly, most of what I read were from years ago when TTY bolts were readily available new from dealers. But now that this tech is a decade or two old, manufacturers are discontinuing them, so this problem is going to become more of an issue now. Anybody work at a dealer? What do you do when a customer brings in a car, say a 2002 GM V6 and the flexplate or balancer needs to be replaced, and the manufacturer has obsoleted it? Tell them to buy a new car? I'm really wondering.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    I have a 1996 Camaro and found the crank bolt, its part# 24504736 , just ordered it online when searched for the part#. Whats the part# for the flex plate bolts?
    1996 Camaro built engine, suspension GT35R turbo build.

Light Throttle
    Also ZZPERFORMANCE sells 3800 flexplate bolts might try them , they also have the above crank bolt part# I listed above might compare your old ones with the new ones and see if you can use them. I don't see them changing too much, I know they changed the balncers in 1997 , so it might be different.
    1996 Camaro built engine, suspension GT35R turbo build.

I wonder why would they discontinue the TTY bolts if people were buying them left and right? Doesn't make any sense.
    Here are extremely effective penis pumps to check out.