Thread: Cam timing?

Cam timing?

Has anyone adjusted the cam timing with a stock cam? I bought a rollermaster timing chain and I'm wondering if it would be better to advance the cam or just install straight up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    My VS cam was installed straight up and the ST5 thats going in will be straight up. I just use Hptuners to advance timing.
    1996 Camaro built engine, suspension GT35R turbo build.

Thank you for the input, but hp tuners cant adjust the cam timing. Your only adjusting ignition timing with hp tuners. And if I were installing an aftermarket cam, I would be installing it straight up since most are ground with advance built in. I haven't heard of the vs cam...who makes it? How was the power delivery? I will be installing a cam when I rebuild the spare engine I have, but right now I'm just doing some maintenance on the engine that's in the car now. And since the timing set needed replaced, I was hoping someone had tried advancing or retarding the cam timing with the stock cam, and could give me some insight from personal experience. I know most SBC stock cams run like crap when adjusted either way due to the small profiles, but I have no experience with these engines.

Light Throttle
    The VS cam is a ZZP cam , have had it going on 17 years, Ive had it N/A , supercharged, Nitrous, and turboed, ran good with each one. Now since Im putting the turbo back on and I need a double roller timing chain , I thought might as well do a turbo cam,ST5, already have forged pistons and heads are modified. Im going to have my comp OER lifters replaced with another set of OERs, ones I have now have over 50k miles and still run great but I heard going with a new cam you should have new lifters. And since the intakes are off , I had a spare set ported and polished to go in. Yeah Ive never messed with cam timing before, whats the benefit of advancing?

Advancing or retarding the cam timing will alter all the valve timing events. Usually advancing a cam will shift the power curve lower in the rpm range and retarding it will raise the power curve. But if the cam timing is optimized for the profile at straight up, the overall power output will usually decrease by adjusting it either way.

And for what it's worth, while it's always nice to have new lifters with a new cam, roller cams are not nearly as picky since the lifters and cam dont develop a wear pattern as they do with flat tappet cams. I have seen roller cams replaced and stock lifters reused and the engine lived a long healthy life.

As far as the vs cam, what kind of rpm range did it have when ran N/A? Did it start falling flat at 5500? Was it soggy down low and then pick up? What rear gear ratio did you run with it? I will be running a t5 transmission and I would like to shift by 6000rpm to try to help the transmission live as long as possible, but it seems most decent cam for our engine are designed for higher engine speeds than what the t5 will handle happily.
    Last edited by Chvblzr37876; 09-23-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Light Throttle
    Im a A4 with 3.73s shift at 6000 rpms, but I did have the VS cam with my 5 speed for years before I did the M5 to A4 swap. Had 3.42s , power was good N/A was running it up to 6200 rpms, it keeps pulling, never went any higher though. With the 3.73s and 3500 tq converter it seems to kick in at around 3k and pulls to 6k pretty easy. Thanks for the info on the lifters , Ill think about leaving them in for awhile longer. With the ST5 cam, it should go between 3500-6500 rpms and Im keeping the 3.73s with the turbo just to see how it runs. The VS cam is just a bigger stock cam in my opinion, 206/216 115 LS , good all around cam.
    Last edited by 1996Camaro; 09-23-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Thank you for the information on the cam. I agree that it seems to be just a bigger version of the stock cam judging by the specs listed, which is kind of what I'm wanting. I will also be running 3.42 gears until I change gearset in the transmission. Then I will be switching to 4.10s. So that cam might be perfect for me.

It looks like I will have to use a degree wheel to find the specs on the stock cam and make the decision to adjust it for now. I really dont want to install a cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, and retainers on a bottom end with 170,000 miles.

Light Throttle
    Yeah 170k is alot, mine just hit 172k but was built with forged pistons ,and stuff at 122k so only have 50k on the motor. Heads were done about 2000 miles ago. Dont drive it that much. Put maybe 2k miles on it in the past 8 years but was working on it for years and let it sit.