Thread: The end of another 10 bolt

Full Throttle Extreme!

The end of another 10 bolt

I bought this 10 bolt out of a lt1 almost 20 years ago from a salvage yard out in PA. It has served me well through many burnouts and launches at e-town. It started to make some clunking noises and whining recently so decided not to go the rebuilt route and went with a strange 12 bolt.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme!
    I purchased the 12 bolt with the same 3:42's gears in a Yukon carrier. Upgraded to the aluminium cover but decided to skip the powder coating to save some cash.

Used the base of my engine hoist to move the rear around, worked out nicely.
    Love those built in adjustable lower control arm brackets.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Primed and painted, ready for install.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    I had a issue with the Founders torque arm bracket, it did not have enough clearance for the bolt holes to line up so I removed about an 1/8 inch of material from the outer edge, top and bottom.

Modified edge on far right of pic. Now I need to take care of the driveshaft to except the new universal joint.

So no more runnin'... Namrepus28's Avatar
    Someone is working on their car again! Hooray! (*uses this as a reminder to go out and wrench on the Camaro soon*)

Looks like a stout piece of equipment. I have a 10 bolt out of a V8 w/the 3:42 zexel-torsen LSD that I partially pulled apart years ago only to discover a broken off bolt for the diff cover. The whole thing has been sitting for almost a decade now. I really should get back on that again before my OE diff falls apart on me.

Anyway, looks good and nice work so far!
    -Derek- *Canada Forum Mod*
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidCamaro View Post
    "Cheat on her?! What do you think I am, some kind of an asshole?!"

What did that strange 12 bolt set you back? Also what brakes do you use on the rear?
    Last edited by 1996Camaro; 08-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996Camaro View Post
    What did that strange 12 bolt set you back? Also what brakes do you use on the rear?
    With delivery around 3k I purchased the rear from Spohn. The disc brakes were off my removed LT1 rear.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
    With delivery around 3k I purchased the rear from Spohn. The disc brakes were off my removed LT1 rear.
    Nice, thats not bad at all, was just checking so I can use my 97' disc brakes with it.Thanks for the info. Ill have to put it on my list.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996Camaro View Post
    Nice, thats not bad at all, was just checking so I can use my 97' disc brakes with it.Thanks for the info. Ill have to put it on my list.
    I've waited almost 20 years for that 10 bolt to wear out. This is the most money I have spent on this car besides the purchase price. The timing was right also my birthday is right around the corner so the wife said she would contribute to the purchase.

Nice its always good to have the wife on your side. I think mine should last awhile yet, just had a new torsen diff. and motive 3.73's installed around 2010, still have my old torsen diff. and 3.42s. Maybe Ill drive it more once the turbo goes on.

Nice to still see some activity here!
    Zahn

2009 CTS-4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX-4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger XLT
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
    Nice to still see some activity here!
    Hey, I remember you. Not much going on here but I still like to pop in once in awhile.