Thread: mileage too high for a new cam

mileage too high for a new cam

so my 2000 camaro 3.8l has about 162000 miles on it. im the original owner, and have religiously changed the oil and filter every 3600 miles since i bought the car 18 years ago. its very well maintained. It already has headers, no cat, 3" flowmaster exhaust, ram-air intake, ported intake manifold, deleted egr, hp tuners, trango shit kit, and 3.42 gears. im considering a zzp gt2 cam , but im wondering if my mileage is too high to do a new cam without doing a full engine rebuild ?

thanx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wouldn't think so , might as well install new valve guides with heavier springs , I think you would at least need 105lbs. Then while the cover is off a new oil pump and timing chain wouldn't hurt.

Oh , also invest in a wideband O2 if you go with the gt2 cam since you already have Hptuners, saves money going to the dyno.

Thanx, are the valve guides on these heads pressed in or threaded in ?

Full Throttle Extreme!
    I would do a compression check or a cylinder leak down test before changing out the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenmike View Post
    Thanx, are the valve guides on these heads pressed in or threaded in ?
    Their pressed.

Still undecided on which cam to use and would appreciate some input. I'd like something with a lopey idle(mostly for the sound) but I don't want the car to have crap low end or lowsey streetability. I read some posts that the gt2 and other cams with .216 or higher .05 duration have terrible streetability. But I'm concerned a gt1 might be dissapointing. Again, I'm looking to build this as a ballsy street car but not for all out track use.

You can always order a custom cam at ZZP. Maybe do the specs of the Abbott Racing cam , I know alot of people who ran it and liked it, I don't remember the specs of it though. Someone here might have the specs or in a old post.