Thread: 99 mustang build

99 mustang build

I got this 99 for $500 and have put maybe $400 into it. All stock minus mufflers removed. Going to run it maybe this weekend if weather permits, then fully strip and gut it. Run it again, then start adding mods.
    Last edited by triple_l82; 04-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    No you won't.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

Yes I will, gonna have to figure out how to post a picture. Issues trying to upload

Full Throttle Extreme! Turningfast's Avatar
    Lol, Larry is a big tease!!
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6
    11.63 @118.9 1.63 60' Best trap 119.6
    After almost 30k miles it popped, junk yard L26 going in with a better turbo
    Ooops, I did it again, lol.

Track had a computer issue so was shutdown, yesterday they had some other reason for being shut down so im not going to the track. Im going to wait till a new track opens after easter weekend
    Larry:
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car

Track called to tell me they will be open tomorrow at 6pm to midnight. $10 to run test n tune and unlimited runs, as many times as i can. So im taking this beast to the track.

thats the best side of it. the other side has a big dent.... not my fault.
    Larry:

UPdate: got three runs in before a mustang (of all the cars seriously) spins and wrecks into a telephone pole taking out a track light. Killed the night for me after that as the headlights have a issue and not working properly, ill figure it out and fix it when i feel like it.

first run was a 11.99 with a 3.08 60, the track had timing system issues still and couldnt print a slip or tell me mph. so i got a et, reaction, and 60 basically. good enough for now. ON this run it spun all the way down the track for a one tire fire. It was great, went dead straight though lol

second run i decided to try the cars traction control and just see how that worked since no LSD and bald tires. 11.83 ET and 3.01 60' it died off the line, died twice down the track and the battery light came on. The positive battery cable came loose and somehow decided to divorce the battery all together. I guess the alt is good because it ran without a battery all the way back to the trailer. went faster and died twice and fell on its face thanks to traction control. shits getting interesting

last run i got it pulled a 11.49 or 11.41, i threw the slips away because seriously who wants to hang on to a 11 second 1/8 mile timeslip. 60' was 2.88, heading in the right direction but cant get traction no matter what so i burned them down for the hell of it and pedaled the car down the track. Didnt get to go full throttle till about half way. So now that we know the car really did have more in it that was never used like it could have been, we started stripping it down and doing free power mods. NO more air conditioning and no more powersteering.

Upon removal of the power steering pump i found that the pump was very difficult to turn by hand, didnt have that famous ford whine so that was interesting, the ac compressor was also hard to turn by hand which did have strange noises coming from it. I figured it was the ac clutch but ill never really know as it went into a dumpster.
    Larry:

Old belt setup as it was stock

new belt route, only need alt and waterpump on a race car....even a slow one at that. after doing this it was very clear the car liked it, so much so that it revved up cleaner and smoother. This prompted me to examine the ac and ps units i removed which i realised was difficult to turn each by hand.

next i wanted to do some weight reduction. I started at the trunk and went forward. i got the the driver and passenger seat. removed all trunk pieces carpet, spare, everything, got the rear seats, interior trim and eventually got the pass seat out but not in these photos. Im currently getting ready to do a lot more. all this interior will be swapped into my 79 mustang my father left me. the seats are in amazing condition.

the best part is the 4x4 stance the car is getting from all of this.... seriously going to need some springs
    Larry:

current plans since the track have changed a lot. I have a few friends that have taken interest into this, one in texas and one local. My texas friend decided he wants to see how fast the car can go on the cheap, he is sending me a turbo off some perkins diesel engine. Its a 300 frame borq warner with a .7 ar. somewhere are 52/61 trim or so. It is supposedly good to 500 horse so we are going sloppy with it and slapping it on the car for shits n giggles. My local friend has a set of drag lites. 15 x3.5 and 15x10 with currect backspacing and wheel pattern. I have 325/50/15s for the rear and we will run vw beetle tires on the front. I have more weihgt (like a ton of it) to remove from the car still, we believe it can pull a 7.99 before the year is over. So i'll update this thread as things go along.
    Larry: