Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Namrepus28's Repair/Budget Resto Thread

So no more runnin'... Namrepus28's Avatar

Post #17 - Part 2

Where I bring us up to the current status.

These photos are from Friday, which was two days ago.

Here a few more photos of bits and pieces as well of the new(er) UIM that I'm currently cleaning up. The red is coming off, and then I'll decide if I'm adding some gloss black touches to it, or just leaving it all bare polished aluminum.

IMG_20190629_1048551.jpg

There seems to be a gasket on the PCV valve plate that I can't find a replacement for online. I may look into getting some gasket material and cutting my own.

IMG_20190629_1048582.jpg

I may replace the pressure sensor as I go as I plan on replacing just about everything else at this point.

IMG_20190629_1320127.jpg

And here's a photo of the two UIMs together. Using a Dremel with wire wheel/brush attachments to get the red paint off. Might have been the previous owners taste, but it's not mine. I've always striven to the keep the Camaro a strictly two-tone silver and black affair.

And that's that!

I've cleaned up the UIM a little more (yesterday) and now I'm deciding if the next step is to finish prepping it, or if I'm going to remove the LIM next. Either way I'll be need to be making another order from Rock Auto soon for gaskets and odds and ends.

Also, should I try porting them both? Maybe? Would it make a difference on an engine with no other major internal mods? Then again, when else am I going to try and get it done?

I have some pondering to do.

To everyone who waited and is reading these posts now, thanks for checking in!

UPDATE: It isn't worth making another post for this, but the "new" UIM is cleaned up. Might add some black accents, might leave it as is. Ordered a few things from Rock Auto including the gaskets I need to put it back together, but at the bare minimum I think I'm going to remove the LIM now and clean it up (or use a "new" one I have on the shelf in it's place). Anyway, it looks a lot better than the one I pulled out of the car!

IMG_20190701_1629304.jpg
    Last edited by Namrepus28; 07-01-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    -Derek- *Canada Forum Mod*
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidCamaro View Post
    "Cheat on her?! What do you think I am, some kind of an asshole?!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    Nice, the polished upper looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996Camaro View Post
    Nice, the polished upper looks great.
    Thanks! I've got a matching polished throttle body for it, but I need some replacement parts for it before I assemble it. eBay here I come.

Gaskets were delivered today, so I think I'm going to test fit things, make sure I have everything I need for the UIM, and then put it aside for now and get the LIM out of the car.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

Post #18 - Part 1

Where I get that filthy LIM off...of the car. (Not sure if LIM stands for something else in another industry. Don't want to chance it.)

Alright so, I had some time a week or two ago and got back to pulling the Camaro apart. Actually it was while the pool guy was there installing a new pump and he was an F-Body guy as well (just sold his 89 GTA I believe) and of course I got the "Why not just drop a V8 in it?" But to his credit he was very receptive when I told him this was a learning experience for me and I'm familiar with the V6s.

IMG_20190712_1733310.jpg

Here's how things looked with just the UIM off. No shop towel to hide things this time.

IMG_20190712_1733364.jpg
    IMG_20190712_1733396.jpg

This thing was FILTHY. The crud on here, mixed with a ton of maple keys. Ugh.

I've since come to the conclusion, after doing some reading, that my LIM gaskets have been blown for a while now. It explains all the oil in the UIM along with how dirty everything is AND the original reason that got me to pull the trigger on attempting this project (aside from the broken off bolts in the UIM) which was finding multiple puddles of coolant sitting beside the fuel injectors.

So after some cursing and swearing I realized exactly how the tensioner is connected to the LIM and finally removed it. I now understand everyone talking about the broken plastic coolant elbow. Btw, if you're replacing it, make sure you get the AC Delco version. The gaskets on the Dorman version have been known to fail.

IMG_20190713_1317293.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

Post #18 - Part 2

Where I continue with posting a few pics of the progress.

Also, I really should get around to draining the coolant and oil like I should have at the beginning. Whoops.

That might be my next step as I wait to save up and order parts.

IMG_20190713_0937363.jpg

And here's where I am currently.

IMG_20190713_0937311.jpg
    IMG_20190713_0937499.jpg

Currently researching the best gaskets (looks like the GM aluminum ones), as well as figuring out how far I want this refresh/upgrade to go. Considering rocker arms, push rods, lifters, and new head gaskets. Then of course, the question becomes; "Should I put in a new cam? And with it a new timing chain?"

The only thing I've definitely decided on so far is that I'm not touching the bottom end. I don't have the means to service/replace pistons and crankshafts. The rest I could do with the engine still in the car.

Also here's bonus shot of my reluctant helper:

IMG_20190714_1930541.jpg

"Can we go inside yet?"
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

Light Throttle
    Yeah, just make sure you drain the oil after you get it back together. Yeah I would leave the bottom end alone unless you have problems. You could refresh the heads with new valve guides, springs, retainers, and pushrods. Id leave the heads on if the gaskets are good. Also the A/C Delco coolant elbow is by far the best. I put in a cheap alm. elbow and it started leaking 6 months later. Installed the A/C Delco and its been good almost almost 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996Camaro View Post
    Yeah, just make sure you drain the oil after you get it back together. Yeah I would leave the bottom end alone unless you have problems. You could refresh the heads with new valve guides, springs, retainers, and pushrods. Id leave the heads on if the gaskets are good. Also the A/C Delco coolant elbow is by far the best. I put in a cheap alm. elbow and it started leaking 6 months later. Installed the A/C Delco and its been good almost almost 2 years now.
    Oh yeah, I'll be changing it a couple times most likely, just to be on the safe side. I've never pulled an engine apart myself before despite working on cars for ages.

Definitely putting a hard stop in place in regards to bottom end work.

As much as I'd feel more comfortable not removing the heads, the engine has pretty high mileage and I'm guessing the gaskets should probably be replaced. Plus I have a set of new head bolts on the shelf so that's one less excuse.

Any recommendations for head gaskets? Intense? ZZP?

I've got about what I need now in terms of parts to put the intake manifolds back together, but it seems silly not to do things like rebuild the heads, timing chain, and possibly a new cam while I'm this deep into the disassembly. I have a garage to stuff the car into for the winter so I'm not in a rush.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

Light Throttle
    I just went with Fel pro when they were done about 3 years ago from Rockauto. Their holding up great. Yeah if no rush then I could see doing them. Also freshing them up.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345