Thread: RWD 78 VW rabbit w/4.3... 3.8 twincharge swap attempt in progress

RWD 78 VW rabbit w/4.3... 3.8 twincharge swap attempt in progress

Hey guys,

I've been building this rwd vw using s10 front frame clip and 4 link'd gm 10 bolt rear. Caged and prepped for tarmac hillclimb or anything else they'll let me run it in. Any my entire car is an experiment and alot of learning, so at this point i'm going 3.8 and have always been fascinated by twincharging so i'm going to attempt it via MS3, a ton of fab/re using parts and unsure of turbo. Not going for crazy power, shooting for 350-400 on stock (mostly) longblock. Engine is a model year 2000 L67 out of a buick park ave with 130k that i picked up for $100 and runs great.

I love hearing input and suggestions considering i'm 19 and just learning the in's and out's of efi. Especially when it comes to mating a t5/t56 that'll hold up. I've heard an LS t56 with a 95 s10 2.2 bellhousing gives a good combo considering its not a drag car.

Please no naysayers, I'm extremely capable but just need to learn a little bit more to make it work effectively
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheHoonwagen; 08-21-2016 at 07:19 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    Hmmm, that is interesting. I've heard of twincharging a couple of times, but never really seen it. I guess the 3.8 would be the easiest to twincharge since you can find the m90 superchargers everywhere. Although, comparing naturally aspirated engines the 3900 would destroy the 3.8. The only bad thing about the 3900 is it would probably be dang near impossible to adapt a roots style supercharger without extensive modifications. Of course, the turbo would not be so difficult.

Just to give you a heads up of what I'm working with: I got a 95 camaro with the 3.4/3500 hybrid setup-Cammed, headers, T5(for now), mildly built 10 bolt rear with 3.42's. I'm about to supercharge my engine with a centrifugal supercharger and later bolt on the t56 transmission with the th350 adapter plate(if memory serves me right). Already have everything I need to make the boost and tranny swap happen. I'm expecting around 400 at the crank which is probably around 350 at the rear wheels. It's slow work in progress as you have to pretty much makes modifications every step of the way as you'll soon find out with whatever custom setup you choose. It's fun though when you see your hard work pay off!
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 08-16-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koolcamaro View Post
    Hmmm, that is interesting. I've heard of twincharging a couple of times, but never really seen it. I guess the 3.8 would be the easiest to twincharge since you can find the m90 superchargers everywhere. Although, comparing naturally aspirated engines the 3900 would destroy the 3.8. The only bad thing about the 3900 is it would probably be dang near impossible to adapt a roots style supercharger without extensive modifications. Of course, the turbo would not be so difficult.

Just to give you a heads up of what I'm working with: I got a 95 camaro with the 3.4/3500 hybrid setup-Cammed, headers, T5(for now), mildly built 10 bolt rear with 3.42's. I'm about to supercharge my engine with a centrifugal supercharger and later bolt on the t56 transmission with the th350 adapter plate(if memory serves me right). Already have everything I need to make the boost and tranny swap happen. I'm expecting around 400 at the crank which is probably around 350 at the rear wheels. It's slow work in progress as you have to pretty much makes modifications every step of the way as you'll soon find out with whatever custom setup you choose. It's fun though when you see your hard work pay off!
    Awesome, and forgot to mention its an L67. pretty good shape and was $100 so perfect for first round of testing. And please let me know if you remember how that t56 mates up! because that's probably my biggest hangup right now, everyone likes to say something different so its tough to make a decision clutch/flywheel wise.

Half Throttle
    Not a bad price. The way the T56 will mate up to the 3.8 and 3.4 will be a bit different, but pretty much the same with different adapters used. What I do know is that you will retain your stock flywheel and clutch. The main things you need to make the T56 swap work is the adapter plate, an extended pilot bushing(might not need it with the ls1 t56, but for sure need it with the LT1 T56 since the input shaft is shorter), and a hydraulic throwout bearing setup if you don't have that already. You shouldn't have to worry about shortening the driveshaft, I know that I don't have to.

Do you have a bellhousing yet? If so, does your L67 use the same bell housing pattern as the 3800? If so, then I have a thread or two saved from a guy that did the T56 swap in his 3800 camaro. Might help you out if you haven't found it already.

Quote Originally Posted by koolcamaro View Post
    Not a bad price. The way the T56 will mate up to the 3.8 and 3.4 will be a bit different, but pretty much the same with different adapters used. What I do know is that you will retain your stock flywheel and clutch. The main things you need to make the T56 swap work is the adapter plate, an extended pilot bushing(might not need it with the ls1 t56, but for sure need it with the LT1 T56 since the input shaft is shorter), and a hydraulic throwout bearing setup if you don't have that already. You shouldn't have to worry about shortening the driveshaft, I know that I don't have to.

Do you have a bellhousing yet? If so, does your L67 use the same bell housing pattern as the 3800? If so, then I have a thread or two saved from a guy that did the T56 swap in his 3800 camaro. Might help you out if you haven't found it already.
    So all i have right now is the engine on a stand with the harness in a box. it was an auto in the buick. but if you have a few threads you could link me to that would be awesome... but also debating keeping the 4.3 in the vw and frankensteining a cheap porsche 914 thats in my area with a wrx trans... i change my mind alot but definitely still pushing for putting it in the vw!