Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Problem

Thanks for the reference. Using that sight: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/3....-sensor-test-2
    I figure it might actually be the crank sensor. I'll probably take the ICM off and have it tested as well. Have you any suggestions on accessing the crank sensor? Or on pulling the crank pulley and balancer cover off?

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    Hmmm, it would make sense that you might be having an ignition problem with a bad crank sensor. In case you don't know, there are two crank sensors on this engine. One located behind the harmonic balancer and the other on the side of the shortblock above the oil pan(not sure which side).

When I fired up my 3.4/3500 after rebuild, there were a number of things wrong with it that i had to sort out. One of those was that the ECM wasn't getting a signal from the crank sensor behind the balancer. What I found out was that I din't torque the balancer down enough with the installer kit so it was an easy fix. I'm sure this is NOT your problem, but my point is that my engine still fired up and ran without receiving a signal from the front crank sensor. Here is a website you can use to check this sensor just in case if you want: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...crank-sensor-1

As for the crank sensor on the side of the block, I'm pretty sure if that one goes bad then the engine will not start. I'm not exactly sure how to check this sensor, but the easiest thing to do is use an OBD1 scanner. Should be able to rent them at the local parts store. If that is not possible, you also have the option of creating an ALDL cable for around 10 bucks and download free software called Scan9495 which will tell you the condition of everything on your laptop.http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-t...f-cars-875018/

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 07-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.

You're saying the car will still start and hold without the sensor behind the balancer? I was gonna try pulling the balancer and everything out for the sensor but I didn't know there was two. The other sounds more like my culprit. Though could it possibly just be the ICM, making one of the coils go out as well? There is a bit of oil residue all over the tail end of the connector if that would make a difference.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Half Throttle
    I sort of missed your old post where the coil you replaced is no longer working. If two coils are sparking and one isn't(after you've already replaced it) than it's gotta be the ICM. So you can either replace it or test it(at auto store) to make sure.

I have a spare ICM that came off my 95 camaro 3.4 with 70K miles if ya want it. I replaced it thinking it would fix a problem I had awhile back and it didn't. I'll let you have it for $20 plus shipping or you can buy it from the auto store. Up to you!
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 07-23-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Half Throttle
    As for the sensors, I wouldn't replace any of them without first doing multimeter reading on them. That way you don't throw unnecessary money at the car.

Half Throttle
    By the way, here is a trick you can do next time one of your ignition coils stops firing. Instead of replacing it like you did, swap it out with one of the good coils and see if fires. If it fires, then it is the coil. If it still doesn't fire, then it is the ignition control module.

Just ran some tests on the plugs into the IAC and they all check out. The sensors read at that point. I'll probably take the unit out and have it tested.
    koolcamaro, I'll PM you details should I most likely need that part.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Still nothing...
    This is damn frustrating. My last guess would be the ignition switch. Ugh

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Half Throttle
    I take it that you installed the ICM and it did not fix your problem? You're not solving the problem because you are not eliminating all the possibilities. I need you to answer the following questions:

1. What is your exact fuel pressure?
    2. How much compression do you have on each cylinder when doing a compression test?
    3. Have you taken voltage reading at the crank sensor located behind the harmonic balancer when turning over the engine?
    4. Have you taken voltage reading at the cam sensor located right in front of the thermostat at the front of the block when turning over the engine?
    5. Have you checked out the crank sensor on the side of the block?
    6. Have you checked all your ignition and fuel fuses to make sure they are not shot?
    7. Did you make sure your air filter is not clogged? (It's happened to people before)
    8. Do you have spark on all spark plugs when turning the engine over or there still no spark on that one coil?
    9. Have you scanned your car for error codes with an obdII scanner to help narrow down the possibilities?
    10. Is your battery good to go? Has it been tested at the parts store to make sure?
    11. Does any of the wiring in the engine bay look as if it's been tampered with (for example-rodents) and do all your grounds look secure? Definately check your engine ground on the side of the block as the car will not start without it hooked up. Been there, done that.
    12. This goes with #9, but is your ECM good to go?

Answer as many of these as you can. I'm almost positive that if you did not miss any of these questions then you would find your problem.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 08-01-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Turns out it was VATS after all. New key, problem solved.
    I took a little vacation thereafter but am now at another bump.
    I swapped out the cams for a comp set afterall the rods were rattling, swapped them but they still rattle (something wrong with my procedure) and my EGR tube that goes into the manifold broke. Could I just close it off with some aluminum? I has no way of sealing the hole and the part looks like order only.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12