Thread: Overheating

So no more runnin'... Namrepus28's Avatar

Overheating

Just wanted to verify my suspicions;

Was going to take the car out of storage today, but ran into a pretty big issue.

I managed to get the Optima Red-Top charged enough to fire the car up, despite it being almost completely drained after about 6 months of sitting, untouched. Very impressed with that battery.

Anyway, I was letting the car run for a while, letting the alternator do it's thing to the battery and about 20min in it started to mis-fire, or at least what sounded like it.

I took at look at the dash and the "Check Gauges" light was on and sure enough the Temp Gauge was into the red.

After checking the coolant in the reservoir and getting a dark brown sludge attached to the measuring stick, I'm pretty sure my coolant has deteriorated and I need a full system flush and refill. It's probably clogged with gunk somewhere and preventing the engine from getting the flow of coolant it needs.

No leaks btw.

I shut the car off, waited a bit, then started it up again and verified the correlation between the load on the engine and the increase in heat as well as the accuracy of the temp gauge by using a temperature gun infrared thermometer on the block itself.

Just wanted to check and see if the conclusion I reached sounds right.

Feel free to chime in if you think I'm on the right track or if there's something you think I've overlooked.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Namrepus28; 05-20-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    -Derek- *Canada Forum Mod*
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidCamaro View Post
    "Cheat on her?! What do you think I am, some kind of an asshole?!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like the cooling system indeed needsa flush. Careful with overhearing, I've had my share of flushes and a water pump swap. It got bad enough with gunk that my 3.4L overheated a couple of times, one time blowinga hose right open, consequently leading toa head gasket leak.
    Flush it and fill then check the pump if problems consist

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

I happen happen happen happen spare water pump lying around, which is good.

Thanks for the input!
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, upper and lower rad hoses, reservoir, res-rad hose, heater hoses and connectors and managed to flush out most of the system in the process.

Everything is working great again. (Best guess for the cause was either a stuck thermostat, or compromised or too little coolant.)

I replaced all the rest because the TLC was well past due.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2003 Bonneville SSEi A4

Half Throttle
    Nice! That's the first thing I would check when overheating would be the thermostat. But yeah, sounds like a lot of those parts needed replacing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird95driver View Post
    Sounds like the cooling system indeed needsa flush. Careful with overhearing, I've had my share of flushes and a water pump swap. It got bad enough with gunk that my 3.4L overheated a couple of times, one time blowinga hose right open, consequently leading toa head gasket leak.
    Flush it and fill then check the pump if problems consist
    yes, you are right. I faced same issue. just due to my carelessness