Thread: 97 v6 3.8 camaro any suggestions

97 v6 3.8 camaro any suggestions

I have a 1997 v6 3.8 series 2 it is an automatic Camaro I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make it faster and more fuel efficient or heck even make it look cooler are any good bolt ons I'm a younger guy I just turned 20 and I don't have the money for an LS swap anyhow I kind of want to keep the v6 just a quick v6

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by THE CAMARO KID View Post
    I have a 1997 v6 3.8 series 2 it is an automatic Camaro I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make it faster and more fuel efficient or heck even make it look cooler are any good bolt ons I'm a younger guy I just turned 20 and I don't have the money for an LS swap anyhow I kind of want to keep the v6 just a quick v6

First, upgrade the suspension. Get thicker stabilizer bars, use poly bushings in the end links. Install 2 or 3 point subframe connectors. Install a better panhard bar. If you can afford it, install new and better shocks and struts.

Install an SLP or similar cold air intake with a K&N air filter. Change out the muffler. Replace the fuel filter and replace as many of the fluids with synthetic fluids as possible
    (rear end, engine, and maybe the tranny). Avoid burning E10 ethanol gas, but "pure" gas will cost you more. You will still get more power and better mileage though. Consider a set of headers. After doing all of that, you may need a custom tune on the ECM, otherwise, you may get a "lean engine" trouble code, because you are flowing a LOT more air, but the injectors aren't keeping up with the increased airflow with the stock tune.

Give it a good tune-up. Clean the MAS, replace the spark plugs and wires.

Half Throttle
    Old thread, but since Springer brought it back to life I'll go ahead and chime in. Some of the most interesting mods you can do to this Camaro is the T5 manual swap and LS1 rear end swap. Go to a junkyard and get these parts cheap. The bigger investment will be the time involved in the swaps. As for performance, they made a Powerdyne supercharger bracket for the 3800 so many years ago so maybe look into finding a kit for sell. You might could also adapt an M90 supercharger. Easiest way to achieve speed, but more risky would be nitrous.

I wouldn't worry about running lean from CAI and headers. I did all my mods without a tune and have no issues with knock or wacky fuel trims.