Thread: rear mount turbos 99 camaro

rear mount turbos 99 camaro

why how y'all doing
    i really need to help i wanna turbo to make about 450-500 hp to the wheels i seen it done on youtube and one guy even got 800 hp on a 3.8l motor
    i have a 99 camaro 3.8l 5 speed,
    i wanna know what turbo set ups can i use,

1-what turbo set up i can use and still keep my ac
    2-do i have rebuilt my trans even if its a 5 speed what shops can i to.
    3 - would my rear end hold,, how do i upgrade it
    4- what are good turbos and should i buy a kit or just make one
    5 about how much u think it would cost to do and is it worth it thanks !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    To answer question 5, a lot. So much that you may want to consider a LS swap. If you still want a turbo 500hp 3.8 then prepare for a lot of custom work. There are no kits available and at that level of power your N/A block will be about maxed out on integrity.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

Step 1: Go to school.
    Step 2: Continue driving current 17 year old car while going to school.
    Step 3: Get a job after school hours, graduate school and get a real job.
    Step 4: Trade in the '99 for the $1500 its going to be worth and get a car that already has ~300-400hp.
    Step 5: Break the warranty and mod it how you please.

Even to make 500hp you'll spend more than what the car is worth; the trans will explode, you'll pop a head gasket, break a rod, spin a bearing and be in a the hole even more because "I'll make it right this time."
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Go with a custom head & cam from zzperformance or intence racing. And giggle juice for when you want the extra power. That should save some money and time.

Or like the others say, and they know there stuff.

Light Throttle
    If you are serious about doing this I will provide some basic answers to your questions.

1-what turbo set up i can use and still keep my ac - You will have to build a custom system. No off the shelf kit is really going to be perfect. Once you do that you will be able to stuff the stuff wherever you want. Depending on how you want it to spool you could look into a Chinese GT35.
    2-do i have rebuilt my trans even if its a 5 speed what shops can i to. - Yes you will. You might be better off just going to a Tremec based T5. These can be built to handle some power, but the limiting factor is the case. They are rather weak.
    3 - would my rear end hold,, how do i upgrade it - Yes, unless you get the tires to stick. One sold launch and you can wreck your rear end. I have seen lots of them hold up for a while, but eventually they will break. I would look into a 9" or 12 bolt depending on what you want to do with your car. You can buy upgraded parts for the 10 bolt, but they will cost you.
    4- what are good turbos and should i buy a kit or just make one - See answer 1.
    5 about how much u think it would cost to do and is it worth it thanks !!! - The sky is the limit. If you take the correct path and do it right the first time you are looking at $10K easily. If you take the path of I just want it done and you have the skills to do it yourself. You could put together a turbo kit and the necessary extras for less than $3K.

The reason I took the time to answer these is because I have been through school, I have a great career, I have been through buying the car that has more power, and I am back to my high school car and wanting to make something that I want. I do not need huge horsepower. I am looking in the neighborhood of 500-550 out of a 3.8, but I am taking the path of doing it right the first time and it is going into a 3rd gen IROC.

These guys have given great advice across the board. It's hard to make that kind of power with this engine. I have done a rear mount setup by using Honeywell's sizing calculator to choose the turbo size and just drawing out what was needed by looking at the bottom of the car. I would not even start on this project unless you have allot of money to spend. If you want to build something that your stock engine and components can handle I have some 2.5 inch tubing, a catch can, and a .48ar quick spool turbo I would sell for $150 plus shipping. ZZPerformance can sell you the engine and give you good advice via email they also build and tune if you are close to them. There is a reason that every city in America has shops pumping out a bunch of LS supercars, the heads stock flow allot of air and the aftermarket support is incredible. I like my car with it's 260hp because it's fun but I plan on buying a Trans Am later and adding a turbo so I can get about 500hp with only 8 pounds of boost.