Thread: I couldn't believe this....

Light Throttle

I couldn't believe this....

So I'm in the middle of the pulling the k member from the car and I unhooked my brake lines and coolant started coming out of them. Soo besides brake fluid what is wrecked in my brake system? And no I didn't put coolant in the master cylinder and yes it looked like brake fluid in the master cylinder when I bought it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lolwut? I would image the brake system is wrecked. Like, all of it. That shit would eat the seals in your calipers, corrode the brake lines inside-out, everything.

Are you sure it was coolant?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    the inside of the lines are fine and the calipers aren't leaking and yes I'm sure. it's the same exact color as the coolant that came out of the radiator.

What color?

And there's no reason why there should be coolant in there since that fluid/line/reservoir is not connected anywhere.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Light Throttle
    see through green. aka peak 50/50 coolant. I know it shouldn't be in there so I suspect that someone poured it in the master cylinder thinking it was the overflow for the radiator or something stupid like that.

Brake fluid when really old tends to get greenish but it won't be a neon green.

The other question is why is there green coolant in your system? Should be orange Dex Cool unless they did a complete system flush to convert it to the green stuff.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Brake fluid when really old tends to get greenish but it won't be a neon green.

The other question is why is there green coolant in your system? Should be orange Dex Cool unless they did a complete system flush to convert it to the green stuff.
    maybe you shouldn't assume people stick with the factory junk. but its good to know about brake fluid turning green when old.

I made no assumption. I said "unless they did a complete system flush to convert it." Some people don't flush the system, just drain and refill with the other, (or worse, just dump green in there without paying attention) and that is asking for trouble. I was simply trying to bring that to attention in case it hadn't been done that way as I have no way of knowing your car's history, to hopefully help you avoid issues. That's all.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.