Thread: Coolant in oil

Light Throttle

Coolant in oil

So I decided to change the oil in my camaro this morning and got a distasteful surprise of coolant in the oil. Except the car hasn't lost any coolant since I blew the plastic elbows for the heater thing with the idler pulley. so I don't know where its coming from if I'm not losing any coolant.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    So I put fresh oil in it. I did find out its not a cracked block. but I'm now suspecting a possible headgasket.

The stock lower intake manifolds are know to fail and leak coolant into the oil.

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Light Throttle
    I've had similar issues except I've considered head studs not sure if it's gonna help but as far as the lim is there after market ones available or are they all oem? Just don't wanna get stuck with the same problem again.

The lim gaskets fail. They were oem plastic and were known to warp and leak. There are new aluminum lower intake gaskets that work better.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Light Throttle
    I used the aluminum gaskets and still had water in my oil but it happened after about 600 miles so that's why I was thinking my head bolts backed out

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    What are the only other ways for those two to mix? Do oil and water touch if the front cover gasket fails?
    I don't remember...do any of the intake bolts touch water?

Seems like heads would be the most annoying to check/disprove.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

I had the same thing happen in my Camaro. I waited too long to change the intake gaskets, now I have a slow but noticeable oil leak, it's either the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket. Runs fine, I just have to check the oil frequently.

Same problem here. Pulled the engine, removed the heads and couldnt find a break in the gasket. If I understand correctly, its more than likely the lim gasket?