Thread: MSD DIS4 Timing - Calling Turbo or John

Half Throttle

MSD DIS4 Timing - Calling Turbo or John

Question - Will this work?

I have a 94 3.4 Camaro.
    MS2 V3 running fuel
    Stock ECU tuned by ED Wright of Fast Chips running timing and trans. Computer tuned for NA car.
    Running a Vortech V9 Supercharger 6psi
    Didn't have good luck with using the MS to run timing so I reverted back.

I want to use a MSD DIS 4 PLUS #62152 to retard my timing.

My thought is I can use Megasquirt spare port to apply12V to a wire-using a constant ( kpa=100-apply 12V) so that I can use the retard meant for nitrous to retard my timing. MSD told me its a step curve that comes in proportionately when 12v is applied until the final retard is achieved.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    Also... should I get the timing controller that lets me dial from the driver seat= or is that unnecessary?

Full Throttle Extreme!
    The MSD DIS-4 can only retard timing after 4,000 rpm is achieved then it retards it in a step curve to the max rpm's that you set it to. Not what you want. I have one in my car. I used the tuner cat software for my turbo 3.5 and retarded timing in the 100 KPA column. You can either purchase the software and do it yourself or send your ecm out $75 and let them do it. With 6lbs of boost you would only need to retard maybe 5 to 6 degrees.

Half Throttle
    Thanks, I'll have to rework my thinking.
    Are you running the 6215 DIS or the (older style or the newer 62152 or 62153 HO)

Besides the DIP switches vs. rotary dials- is one unit more reliable than the other? Someone told me the other day that the older were more reliable.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Yes, I have the 6215 with the DIP switches. I've heard the older ones were more reliable but I can't say for sure since I've only owned the one. I've had this one for 15 years with no problems.

Half Throttle
    thanks. do those older models work the same way as you describe above? Only retarding after 4k rpm? I had one but it fried. Otherwise it worked good.

Do you think it makes that much of a difference that the newer have a higher millijoule rating?

Full Throttle Extreme!
    I have the older style, I believe the newer ones have the rotary dials. I don't know the difference in the millijoule ratings between the two but my plugs can fire at .035 gap at 20lbs of boost. Again retarding timing at 4,000 rpms is too late you should be building boost way before that point.

Half Throttle
    OK. Yes Grape makes sense I do make boost before 4k RPM so that wouldn't work. I'm getting another DIS4- just wondereed if I could have the ability to retard timing using it.
    The reason I'm looking to reatrd is because I have a hot street NA tune from FASTCHIPS I'd like to use as a base and pull timing from there - vs use a comp that MADTUNER did for me for boost.
    I don't have the energy to disconnect MS and learn/buy tuner cat but thanks. Sucks I went the MS route and then tuning solutions became available.
    You mention send out the comp- who will do it for $75? I went through MadTuner- and he took out timing for 6lbs but since has stopped doing 3.4 because there was a lot of back and forth with me.

Also, a local guy wants to sell me a DIS4 plus a 6562 to reatrd timing. Any idea how involved that is?
    Honestly I'm not keen on introducing any more electronics to my car. Thanks