Thread: Holy rattle! What is it?

Light Throttle

Holy rattle! What is it?

Ok so I bought an 01 camaro with a 3800 and T5 with the understanding that the head gasket was blown. I checked the coolant and oil and they were fine. The seller said it wouldn't go above 20 mph. So I pulled the coils and ICM and got them tested. 2 bad coils. So I replaced all 3, and put the spark plug wires on correctly (he had 3 in the wrong spots), jump started the car (sat a while), and it fired up, but there is a loud rattle that sounds like it's coming from the oil pan area. The higher you rev the engine, the louder it gets. I took the car for a quick drive and it now goes over 20mph, but that rattle is insane! My dad says rod or crank bearing, im thinking stretched timing chain. I'll try to attach a sound clip.

Camaro 3800/3.8L rattling/knocking: http://youtu.be/SC7Z13UPPSY
    Last edited by bachert24; 09-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    More info, at idle oil pressure is about 20, goes up to 40ish when I rev it up. Here's the kicker, won't go past 25-30mph no matter what gear I'm in. Possible tranny damage?

Well that doesn't sound good. I can tell you that your dad is probably right though, but the only way to find out would be to tear the engine apart. Look at it this way though, its the perfect excuse to do some internal engine UPGRADES!
    on second thought, you could drain some of the oil and see if there are any metal shavings or chunks in it. Also, make sure you have good oil pressure.

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Light Throttle
    I'm not so certain that's the case, I listened to a ton of videos on YouTube and I thought the same, but my video sounds an awful lot like stretched timing chain. Especially considering it tops out around 25mph and has no overheating issues.

Ok, so if its a stretched timing chain, that's still not good. If that's the case then you probably got some valve train and piston damage.
    But didn't you say the noise was more pronounced under the car as opposed to the top of the engine. The noise sounds more like a clunking which i would associate with the pistons and crank shaft. If it was more of a ticking noise I would go with the valve train which could be the timing chain.
    did you check the oil pressure?
    Last edited by firebird274; 09-05-2014 at 03:32 PM.

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Light Throttle
    Yes, listed in my second post. The sound gets real loud right where the oil pan is. I think I really just want to believe it's the timing chain because that's easier lol. From my understanding, when the chain stretches it rubs on the block or oil pan. I was thinking maybe it was the oil pickup or still a bearing, but the fact that it has oil pressure has me leaning right back to the chain. I'm not ruling out crank or rod bearings, or even a busted lifter or rocker, the symptoms just don't seem to line up.

Flywheel bolts coming loose?
    1999 Firebird - Turbo in making!

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Possibility, ill check it out, seems to shift fine.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Agree, check the flywheel first for loose bolts or even cracks. I got a free car once because the flexplate bolts were loose and sounded like the engine was blown the owner said I could take the car. When I got home I tightened the bolts and whola. Also check the harmonic balancer it would have to be in bad shape to be causing problems but they do fall apart over time. The reason car might not be going over 25 mph is the knock sensor could be retarding timing so much.

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
    Agree, check the flywheel first for loose bolts or even cracks. I got a free car once because the flexplate bolts were loose and sounded like the engine was blown the owner said I could take the car. When I got home I tightened the bolts and whola. Also check the harmonic balancer it would have to be in bad shape to be causing problems but they do fall apart over time. The reason car might not be going over 25 mph is the knock sensor could be retarding timing so much.
    Thanks for the info, ill check both.