Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for any good V6 3.8L performance tips

Only problem is, which cam do I buy? I'm sure that there are at least a few choices to make, but if I make the wrong one, I'll be pissed. The Pacesetter headers and SLP SS stainless muffler should help noticeably. Don't like Borla. Nice, but too spendy, would consider Magnaflow. Thanks.

Cams cost a lot to install, and I know I can't do it myself, and if I'm not sure of the results, I'm even more reluctant to put one in, and if putting a "good" one in results in a dramatic drop in gas mileage, I won't be very happy. I don't have a "lead foot" gas foot.

I like to accelerate smartly on entrance ramps, sometimes from stoplights, and always thru the twisties, but I'm not a super-speeder. In fact, I've never had a speeding ticket in my whole life, I'm in my mid 50's, and I have owned a lot of "muscle cars" over the past 30 years. I have been pulled over for speeding, but it has been over 20 years since. I like to keep my insurance rates LOW. Still, I have never heard of someone getting a "speeding ticket" for taking a "30mph" cloverleaf turn at 60 MPH, on a nice, dry day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are a ton of threads on here about what cam to get.

Read around here a lot, plenty of people WANT a 300hp engine with good gas mileage, but guess what? No one achieves that without putting good money into it, and even then your MPG will probably disappoint you. By all means, go dump money into it on what you think will get you results, throw it on the dyno and get back to us. This isn't my first time around the block...

Also isn't my first or second engine block....
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

You don't like borla? Your crazy, magnaflow doesn't even compare in sound. An were did you get a 13 mm bar, the smallest was a 15.
    An yes you can do a cam, I did and had never tore into a motor that far before, sure tuning has been a pain, but for the most part all the bugs have been worked out. There's plenty of people on the forums that will you out. An yes my mpgs dropped a little, but I never got 33 to begin with.

Sent form my Samsung Galaxy SIII

Kris

Light Throttle
    skimpish knows his stuff, when it comes to these engines he is one not to argue with. ive have done tones alot more then him in suspension. and if your really wanting this thing to handle with a comfortable ride konies will not do you wrong plus they will stay at top performance for 6 years of hard racing, when most others will start to loose performance after 2-3. also the warranty is better than any other manufacturer out there. also $810 that they are on sale now will pay for its self in at least 5 years not to mention the one plce not to skimp on if you want the car to handle is shocks. there is a reason why some road racers will spend $10,000 for shocks they can make or brake the car.
    here are some videos:
    stock shocks, springs, shock tower brace 32 front 19 rear sway bars, open diff. crappy tires
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhmlAVjhf9M
    koni 4/4 strano springs, 35 front 22 rear sway bars open diff same tires.
    http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/ma...tml?sort=3&o=0
    current setup including wattslink weight reduction and alot of mods. hankook rs-3, current setup ended up beating a 3 time national champ at this event.

I lol'd
    Last edited by skimphish; 06-11-2014 at 06:45 AM.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Hunting for 10's
    Spark plugs are good for 8 hp, since you have 6 of them 6 x 8= 48 HP. More then enough to get you past the 200 hp mark.
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

^he speaks the truth. also htese engiens love a little methanol and nitro mix. its good for 250 horse to the ground and all you have to do is unplug the maf and put .15 gallon of nitro to 10 gallon of gas. instance awesome sauce
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Hunting for 10's
    You forgot 1 cup of turpentine. per 20 gallons of fuel.
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Light Throttle
    Dynos are supposed to account for gear ratios so a gear change should NOT net more whp. Not unless the centre section/gears/axles are somehow made lighter in the process.

am i the only one that realizes this is completely in the wrong section?
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_l82 View Post
    am i the only one that realizes this is completely in the wrong section?
    No, I just came in here and i'm all like "what the hell, where are the MODS to move this thing where it belongs?"

We stopped caring long ago
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    i havent been on here in forever but figured id stop in since im working on my car again. and the first thing i read is 50whp from a intake and a muffler.... im hopping back off again hahaha
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

According to some of hp calculations here, my car should have 500hp..
    btw, gears and AL. driveshaft obviously wont add 5hp, but it will make the car 'much more fun to drive' compared to that '20hp adding intake' setup..

dont expect HUGE gains from bolt ons (though they can make a nice difference), and forget about fuel efficiency if you really want 300hp or more (because it will take $$$$ and work, in fact, dont even bother with dyno numbers.. I dont dare to dyno my car, numbers will only be disappointing, all I care about is how different it feels, how much better it handles, sounds, and how fun it is to drive compared to when it was stock.
    Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

Koni 4/3 - Strano 35/22 - SFC - 19" Luff M1 Wheels - Pacesetter Headers - True Duals - 234 Cam - 3800 Stall - D&S Rotors & SS Brake Lines - SLP LS1 Lid - Detroit Truetrac & 4.10's - AL.D/S - PCMforless Tune +HPtuners - Taylor 8.2 Spiro Pro- HD2 Shift kit - |||| -- ---- .
    www.fquick.com/98vertFirebird --- www.youtube.com/dt262

Full Throttle
    i put a supercharger on my car and cammed it on stock heads and put down 322whp.... lame, im putting a turbo on this time and getting real numbers.

if you want to go fast for cheap sell your v6 camaro spend 2k more and buy a v8 camaro.

when you buy shocks spend the money on the konis and you will never look back. the road holding capabilities of those shocks is unreal by far the best handling mod i ever have done to a camaro. 2nd is WELD in sub-frame connectors. dont waste your time with bolt in
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast