Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3800 F-Body compatible Aluminum Oil Pan?

Question 3800 F-Body compatible Aluminum Oil Pan?

Anyone aware of anything better than the stock 3800 painted metal oil pan for my 2002 Camaro 3.8L like an aluminum one? Damn thing is rusting just like my old 3400 one did -- sick of it.

It looks like others are adapting some from other cars, but does anyone know if one will work with the F-Body 3800 RWD setup?
    http://www.bonnevillepro.com/forums/...hp?f=1&t=11682
    Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    01 Camaro SS 'vert: SLP FlowPac & Dual-Dual Exhaust,SS Brake Lines,Koni 8241 SAs, Strano Sways,UMI CM SFCs welded,Hotchkis STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror
    02 Camaro RS: Borla Cat-Back,DMH E-Valve,SLP CAI & Bilsteins,Auburn LSD,SS Sways,Whisper Lid,UMI 3pt CM SFCs welded,BMR CM STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,ProClip,Gentex 50-GENK60

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Unfortunately Fbodies are all alone on oil pans. The way our k-member is makes the oil pan a fbody specific thing. The fbody oil pans are fairly difficult to find as well. You could take a FWD one and shop up the front of it, weld in new plate, and be done. But that's supposing you can AL weld or you have someone that can AL weld.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Thanks, that sucks. Anyone seen any examples of this modification, so the extent of the mod. is simply for K-Member clearance? I would love to see photos of a finished moded aluminum pan.

Alternately, is there any aftermarket improved version? Aftermarket ones I have seen look like stock...

Dorman:

Spectra Premium:

Vollig:

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    Unfortunately Fbodies are all alone on oil pans. The way our k-member is makes the oil pan a fbody specific thing. The fbody oil pans are fairly difficult to find as well. You could take a FWD one and shop up the front of it, weld in new plate, and be done. But that's supposing you can AL weld or you have someone that can AL weld.
    Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-20-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    01 Camaro SS 'vert: SLP FlowPac & Dual-Dual Exhaust,SS Brake Lines,Koni 8241 SAs, Strano Sways,UMI CM SFCs welded,Hotchkis STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror
    02 Camaro RS: Borla Cat-Back,DMH E-Valve,SLP CAI & Bilsteins,Auburn LSD,SS Sways,Whisper Lid,UMI 3pt CM SFCs welded,BMR CM STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,ProClip,Gentex 50-GENK60

Those don't really count as "aftermarket" in my mind. Those are just stock replacement. lol.

I have never seen someone mod an AL one to work on these cars, and I've been around the block. lol. The benefit would be..... pretty much nothing aside from salt resistance. Find a new one, put a good coat of paint on it and be done. Hell, powdercoat it. Double hell, move down south and don't worry about ice/salt.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    If you got a tubular k-member it might give you clearance for an uncut FWD pan. That's an expensive mod though just to get an aluminum pan

No plans to swap K-Members!

For the rust prevention issue, what about using some rubberized undercoating to coat the oil pan exterior? Does that sound like a good salt/water/snow defense?

I've often wondered if we could modify the holden ones to fit...

http://www.asroilpans.com/holden-gallery.html#

count 7 up from the bottom in the middle

aluminum itself has no benefit, but the gates and baffles and if you put a crank scraper on, that can net you some decent power

I ran an l26 aluminum pan in my Camaro, just notched the stock k-member.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

^there ya go
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Yah that Holden pan kicks forward of their k-member but would interfere with ours entirely. The shaping for the F-body pan starts at 2 bolts in, the holden goes back to 4 bolt holes.

Wonder how close the L26 pan would be with my tubular k-member. Then again, I'm happy with my steel pan. It deforms if it gets hit, the aluminum one just cracks.

I'd bent mine out when I rebuilt it, it's dented again. Streets here suuuuck.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Quote Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
    Yah that Holden pan kicks forward of their k-member but would interfere with ours entirely. The shaping for the F-body pan starts at 2 bolts in, the holden goes back to 4 bolt holes.

Wonder how close the L26 pan would be with my tubular k-member. Then again, I'm happy with my steel pan. It deforms if it gets hit, the aluminum one just cracks.

I'd bent mine out when I rebuilt it, it's dented again. Streets here suuuuck.
    My aluminum one from my 2005 L36 didn't clear my PA racing K member, not sure how different they are.

I know the holdens kick forward, but I've wondered if you could cut and reverse it lol.

I think the more important piece out of that is the baffle and adding crank scrapes if you are looking for more power.

The deeper pan portion I believe is more geared towards road course where you could starve the motor for oil in certain turns is it not?

Thanks! Wow, did you do that work yourself? looks like you box-welded the cutout portion -- how long did all that take? Wonder if that affects the k-member integrity/function much? I assume you had the engine out anyhow during that time huh? Would love to see some photos with the pan installed an how it fits in there if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post

Yeah I boxed it back in, engine was out. Went to the wrecking yard and bough an L26, and tossed it in with the turbo kit, the stock valve springs didn't like 22lbs of boost, lol. That's the only picture I can find, did this several years ago, the V6 stuff is long gone now.

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

^ What happened, sold the car? If you still have it, take some pics from front and back w/new pan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast