Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft, Is it worth It?

Full Throttle

Driveshaft, Is it worth It?

I have a 99 V6 so I have the one piece steel shaft, is it worth the 100 bucks (on average) to get a used LS1 aluminum driveshaft, I know on the older cars with the 2 piece driveshafts that would be an upgrade but what about stock steel vs. stock aluminum on a mostly stock V6 car?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    You are not really going to see a ton of benefit. You might see a little increase in throttle response due to the decrease in rotating mass, but not much else. I would say if you are taking your car a certain direction, drag, autocross, road race, then get it because any bit helps. Ultimately it is up to you, if you want it then buy it.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Agreed ^ Another advantage is the ease of removing and installing if your doing any work on the car.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
    Agreed ^ Another advantage is the ease of removing and installing if your doing any work on the car.
    unlike your 3.4 I already have the 0ne piece steel, so R&R is the same regardless of aluminum vs. steel for me, it's just the weight difference then mainly.

as for the direction of the car, it is a Daily Driver that I am slowly building up using V8 parts anywhere I can so if the day where to come where I had the funds I could do a V8 swap.

aluminum driveshaft was the best mod I did in the car...I felt I gained more out of the driveshaft swap alone compared to when I did my exhaust in the v6

for the price you can find aluminum shafts for, it is worth every penny

Light Throttle
    The weight difference when I weighed my steel shaft and aluminum shaft was 4lbs.

The main reason thirdgen guys swap to an aluminum shaft is because the steel shaft is prone to becoming imbalanced over time.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeine View Post
    The weight difference when I weighed my steel shaft and aluminum shaft was 4lbs.

The main reason thirdgen guys swap to an aluminum shaft is because the steel shaft is prone to becoming imbalanced over time.
    what where the weights to start with, with out a starting point I don't know if 4 lbs is a lot or very little weight difference. also I should note my stock steel shaft is at like 208k miles so if they are prone to becoming unbalanced with time then I would say that is quite a possibility with mine.

Light Throttle
    I think the balancing problem comes mostly from developing rust etc... Aluminum shaft weighs 11 lbs iirc. I don't think it would be a noticeable difference from a steel shaft.

Another thing to consider is that it has a larger diameter than a steel shaft. This could negate some of the effects of a lighter driveshaft

Light Throttle
    In my 3rd gen it made a huge difference. Granted my steel driveshaft had only 65K or so miles on it so I didn't have a rust issue, but considering my car is being build as a road track car I could instantly feel the difference. I am very glad I made the switch.

I like the driveshaft question. I just reply now with "is it worth it to wipe your ass with toilet paper?" It just is.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

For the $80 it cost to get one, yes an AL one is worth it. I think I paid $60 locally for mine and even got a second slip yoke
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine View Post

You need a new scale because yours is broken, the aluminum is about 11lbs and the steel is twice that and almost about 25lbs

when you are talking rotating mass, that is a huge difference...guys pay thousands of dollars for light weight rims that knock off 5-8lbs per rim.

The reason some v8 guys stick to the steel is because at a certain power point you will shred the aluminum shaft and twist it up like a pop can- you won't have that issue in the v6, trust me.

Light Throttle
    definitely worth the investment. expecally if your doing any type of track racing.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by madforce10 View Post
    definitely worth the investment. expecally if your doing any type of track racing.
    daily driver just looking to squeeze out what I can.

Light Throttle

Driveshaft, Is it worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by LETZRIDE View Post
    You need a new scale because yours is broken, the aluminum is about 11lbs and the steel is twice that and almost about 25lbs

when you are talking rotating mass, that is a huge difference...guys pay thousands of dollars for light weight rims that knock off 5-8lbs per rim.

The reason some v8 guys stick to the steel is because at a certain power point you will shred the aluminum shaft and twist it up like a pop can- you won't have that issue in the v6, trust me.
    You must be talking about a two-piece driveshaft. There's no way the 3rd gen steel shaft weighs 25 lbs. Even going by feel you can tell the aluminum shaft is nowhere near half the weight.

Also, my aluminum shaft weight matches yours, at 11 lbs. My stock steel one weighed about 15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast