Thread: Need some ideas

Need some ideas

Hey everyone - I need some help thinking this out. I posted this over at CamaroV6.com as well so if you've seen it twice I apologize!

Last season I went to the strip with largely a stock set up other than the usual CIA and exhaust. I was able to run pretty consistent 15.7s & 15.8s with 2.3 60ft times on junk tires and having to roll into the throttle slowly at launch to have any hope of not spinning the one tire on 3.08 gears, A4 trans.

Fast forward to this year and I've now replaced the stock LCAs to the poly/tubular UMI arms, installed a UMI torque arm with the forward mount on the cross member vs. the trans and had an Eaton 3 series with 3.73 gears installed. Add to that new wheels, 15x4 skinnies and 15x8 rears (26 x 11.50R15) with MT ET streets. I've shaved off weight by removing the seats, adding a fiberglass hood and a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.

Slap all that on, I go out yesterday and on my best run of the day run a 15.71 with a 2.27 60ft time. With DA and weather being fairly similar. I ran my ET Streets as high as 30psi and as low as 20. No slipping that I could tell at either end of the PSI range.

What the hell isn't working here guys. I should be much quicker than that right?
    Am I just not launching hard enough at 2500RPM? The burnouts were suspect since I have never had to do them before I may have not gotten them hot enough. However, I guess I just expected better for all the changes. What do you think?

Here is my best run of the day:
    RT: .002
    60: 2.227
    330: 6.521
    1/8: 10.012
    1000: 13.094
    1/4: 15.713 @ 85.83 (DA=1380)

My best run w. stock setup in 2013:
    RT: .063
    60: 2.366
    330: 6.647
    1/8: 10.147 @ 71.03
    1000: 13.157
    1/4: 15.707 @ 87.73 (DA=1024)
    Last edited by Evil red demon; 05-05-2014 at 08:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Power, you need moar of it.

But I would have expected a low 15sec pass. Do you have HPT to where you can run a scan while making a pass?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Ha ha ha yeah other than the obvious need for more power, I just expected better. I do not have HPT sadly. I just don't think I have the knowledge to really get that and understand without screwing something up so I sent it to ZZPerformance for a tune after the gear change. I suppose I can follow up with them to see what was done to it. Maybe something could be tweaked a little better.

dont ask
    Lots of things to consider

97?
    General condition of motor and trans of a 17yo package could be an issue.

Practice Practice Practice

No matter how much $$$ you toss at it in shiny new parts the "driver" plays a huge roll.

If it was me my next mod would be a 3800-4000 stall.
    The stock A4 and new 3:73s are not being well packaged for the strip without a decent torque converter.
    Unfortunately this will need additional efforts in tuning.

This will really wake it up at the strip.

But as is....the next trip to the track take off the front sway bar
    You can drive the car without it as long as you use common sense and don't attempt any high speed sharp turns.

Where are you located?
    Dan

Thanks for the thoughts. I too was questioning really just the overall condition of the engine and trans. They've been well cared for over the years but may by just getting tired. I already have a list of things I want to address on the driver side of things next trip to the track. Better burnouts, holding my launch rpm higher, ect. All things that didn't necessarily dawn on me while I was at the track. The stall will likely be something I address next, I had planned on getting one put in as part of an overall trans rebuild (since it is old). I will take of the front sway and see if that helps next time as well.

I am in Ottawa, IL. Just about an hour west of Chicago.

dont ask
    Suggestions:

Take a note pad, write down your setup AND your technique on each pass with more detailed emphasis on the launch.

Step the launch testing process. No two rides or setups like the exact same setup.
    Meaning,
    First pass...launch off idle (many stck based 6'ers have better results this way)
    Note it, write it down
    Next pass try it 3-400rpm higher, etc etc etc

Most folks don't take the time or effort to do this next recommendation as they are overly excited or trying to "compete" with the knucklehead in the other lane.
    But.....
    Look at your slip
    It's broken down in to sections (areas).
    Only work one area at a time until you are consistent in that area.
    It's a process and lessons learned effort.
    Work on nothing but the short time (60ft). (Forget reaction times)
    Sit on the line, prep (driver) for a clean launch.
    Even after it goes green. It's your lane, make good clean effort on being consistent.
    After your consistent at that point and its time to get the 330 dialed, then 660, etcetcetc.
    It takes time and patience but the end results are worth it and helps you design the next mods for your setup .
    There is no better feeling than maxing out your setup and knowing exactly where your next mods or efforts need to be put.

Like I said, not many make the effort and just shotgun every pass
    Those are the same folks that waste tons of effort and money and still can't figure out why the stock mustang or Honda or??? Keeps stomping them.

Know your setup
    Have patience
    Basically stock 6'ers don't need the et streets below 25-26lbs hot.
    I run 275/17's at 17lbs but its needed
    Sure I loose a little mph on the top but mph means dick to me.

Have fun
    Be safe
    Dan

Thanks Dan, that is a great breakdown! I made 5 passes on Saturday mostly just playing with air pressures but not really launch RPMs. It was really hard to focus on the process when there was a full blown 9 sec. race car in the other lane, let alone if I wanted to hear anything. It was kind of annoying. I will focus my next trip on the driver modifications!

Full Throttle
    Believe it or not my car runs faster with street tires then with drag radials... What was the difference in DA? Ive noticed with mine if I launch around at 2500 it likes to fall on its face, so I launch at 2000 now. I usually have pretty close 60' times. All about practice, practice, practice. My drag radials are usually between 31-32psi. my best pass has been a 15.2
    Last edited by insidethreat07; 05-05-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

I put my street tires back on for the last pass of the day and since they are BFG Traction T/A all season, they just blew right off at the hit. I think if I go to street tires I might have to get some nittos or something with a touch more grip. The only different in DA between my best pervious pass and my best last weekend was 356 feet, so not enough to make a huge difference in the day. It is starting to sound like from conversation over at CV6.com that I just need to get a better TQ converter for the trans to help with launches. Which I had planned to get but not for a little while and just have the whole trans rebuilt and refreshed since it is 17 years old now. Right now I can only launch at most 1500-2000RPM but I need to work on it more since my best pass of the day I did not get the tires nearly hot enough, which could make a difference. Oh well, like you said, practice, practice, practice and maybe it will get better!

That is way too much tire for your car. 11.5?? get down to an 26x8" tire for starters, that extra weight and unnecessary friction from that big a tire is slowing you down quite a bit. Sticky tires are just that, sticky, the whole way down the track. a 10.5" tire should be able to get you low 11's or faster if you are setup right,, never mind an 11.5" tire.

Full Throttle Extreme! 1DangerousV6's Avatar
    With an A4 I would've gone with 3:42's. That's just me
    12 SECOND DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO
    Camaro World Magazine Featured Camaro March 07
    Bests: ET [email protected], MPH 104.7, 60' 1.75 - Stock TC, 0 - 60 MPH 3.1 sec
    www.12secondV6Camaro.com

when you went to 3.73s, did you tune for it? i dont see anywhere that you mentioned it was tuned for the correction. Your shift points could be off, causing lag in shifting and it will slow you down.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

this thread is like 2 years old lol, holy cow. Probably has been either sold or figured out by now haha.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Ha ha it's all good guys, I just saw this! Believe it or not she has not been sold and I continue to race her also every weekend. Turned out it was the big tire that was really causing the slow down. I sold the 11.5 and got an 8" tire. Along with a few other changes and lots of practice, I just ran my best time yesterday of 15.43 in mostly stock trim. I was pretty pumped. This winter I'm hoping to finally dig into the transmission and get a bigger stall. That should help get into the 14's for sure.

Nice, glad you got it figured out