Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out with the old, In with the supercharged!

Full Throttle
    Thanks, still a couple loose ends to tie up, need new front control arm bushings installed, and the correct length belt, but in a couple weeks it should be in. Id have it in sooner, but I have tons of overtime at work, and the money will help get important finishing touches....

A.K.A. Watts link.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i like where this is going....

so glad that kit is going to good use
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Full Throttle
    Question for Scott,

So the engine has been pulled and parts are being transferred, However I am confused with the MAP situation. On the engine that was pulled it is bolted to the side of the intake, a vacume line goes to it from the FPR and theres another nipple on the other side. How exactly does this become integrated into the new engine? Do I just hook the LIM nipple to the MAP sensor and leave it dangling, or does it connect somewhere else? This is the only confusing part of this swap for me.

You need to get a T to go from the LIM nipple that will connect that nipple to your boost gauge and the MAP sensor. Just take the sensor itself out of the housing and hook it up directly to a vac line and tuck it in behind the fuel rail. The FPR vac line hooks up to the nipple at the back of the M90.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    This should be the last stupid question, because im an idiot and didn't bother to pay attention, the auto tranny has two oil line fittings a top and bottom. from what I have found so far, the bottom line on the tranny (hot) goes to the top of the radiator, and the bottom radiator line (cool) goes to the top of the tranny fittings.

Is this correct or am I hooking this up completely backwards.

Get spark plug boot protectors, just FYI.

I scorched a few wires before I got wise and did that.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

I do have to ask, why did you opt for the 1 belt setup? The 2 belt was a direct bolt on and it make it to where if your s/c has any issues or the s/c belt breaks you can always make it home on just the main belt.

Also, I have a 3.4" SSM90 pulley if you decide to pulley drop. At a 3.4" I was running 10lbs of boost, so you'll probably have about 6lbs or so with that 3.8".
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    I went to a single belt because I thought it looked a bit cleaner and less clutered up front. I still kept the second tensioner, the bolt hole on the coil bracket for an idler and had the double belt balancer installed in case I ever felt the desire to switch over.

I honestly never thought about the belt breaking. probly should have considered that first.

pics to come soon.

Yeah to me it was more of a safety thing. Also makes it easier with pulley drops because you should drop down belt sizes, and those specs can be found on ZZP. If you do a single belt you'll have to figure it out yourself once you drop sizes.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    Another question Scott, the throttle body vac line to the AC vac hose, If I don't have the AC in the car do I still need to hook up the vac hose or can I just block off both throttle body ports? I wasn't sure if the TB vac lines control the blower motors in the car for defrosters and such.

That line also controls the blower motor, so if you want to retain those functions hook it up.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    so a couple days of work and its.....sorta in. K member still has to be attatched but the strut towers are in place. seems to be about an inch off from side to side.

just a few more days, some HP tuners, and some break in oil and it should be ready to fire.

I really hope I put the bottom end of the motor together good.

Full Throttle
    Another couple interesting things, when I pulled the computer out it had this JET performance thing hooked in.

And also I never installed the bracket for the TB that Scott had made and decided to revise it a bit. this one bolts into the two holes in the back of the alternator and then to the side of the TB.

Full Throttle
    Started the engine for the first time today. Its sort of running but just not right. It idles all over the place, from 700 all the way to 3000rpms. It seems to run smooth through the rpm changes but it wont idle at one speed. also my oil psi is running at about 15 when its at 3000rpms and at almost zero at 1000. I can only assume my sensor is broken as the motor would have already spun a bearing after 20 minutes of crazy running with that psi.

tomarow ill be changing out my TB sensors for spare ones, changing the oil pressure sensor for a spare one, changing the oil and firing it up again. Also ill remove my boost gauge from the vac lines and cap off both TB vac line to minimize the amount of problem areas.

Full Throttle
    Started the engine for the first time today. Its sort of running but just not right. It idles all over the place, from 700 all the way to 3000rpms. It seems to run smooth through the rpm changes but it wont idle at one speed. also my oil psi is running at about 15 when its at 3000rpms and at almost zero at 1000. I can only assume my sensor is broken as the motor would have already spun a bearing after 20 minutes of crazy running with that psi.

tomarow ill be changing out my TB sensors for spare ones, changing the oil pressure sensor for a spare one, changing the oil and firing it up again. Also ill remove my boost gauge from the vac lines and cap off both TB vac line to minimize the amount of problem areas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast