Thread: Cooling System

Cooling System

My radiator just started leaking and caused the upper radiator hose to fry up. So now I am shopping for a radiator:
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=5687
    Will this fit?
    (Most one's I have contacted are all oversea shipments)

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Why spend so much for a radiator. Check out rockauto.com one of the sponsors here. Great prices and they always seem to have a discount.

I found a good one but now the pump seems to be clogged or just incapable of pumping. Today it will be removed and checked.
    On the market of water pumps, I have been looking for one that isn't manufactured overseas, leading me only to the OEM ones (which I only assume are built somewhere within driving range).

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Half Throttle
    agreed! Get another stock radiator, or a junkyard one. The stock versions, with a healthy and clean water pump and 165 stat will keep the car plenty cool. Add a fan switch or through the ECU have the fan come on at 170 like I did and you should be fine. Save the dollars and modification time on something else. Just not worth reinventing the wheel on this topic. Good luck.

I just changed the thermostat, today and did a flush (there was a lot of rust in the system for some reason) but not the water doesn't seem to flow through the engine. I discerned this form feeling the hoses (the top was hot while the bottom cold). What could it be? The thermostat not opening up? Or it still needing more fluid?
    EDIT: I guess my real interest would be that since I filled the radiator up with coolant while it was running and then capped it, should I proceed to fill the reservoir with water? Is there coolant vacuum to draw water from the reservoir?
    EDIT:EDIT: Nevermind I think I got it.The car is running significantly cooler now.
    Last edited by Firebird95driver; 06-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Another issue again. This time the car heats up quick but doesn't seem to circulate any water at all. The hoses stay cool to the touch and the radiator is full (though there are signs of rust). I JUST did a flush AND a thermostat switch last week and now this. UGH! Could it be that the pump is bad? (Though I JUST changed it about a month ago). Could it be that the rust (though I am not sure how there is any if I flushed it and put drinking water in it mixed with anti-freeze) has clogged the water pump or is not allowing the thermostat to open?
    HALP!!!

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Some more symptoms (and a slightly desperate cry for help):
    On start-up, the engine heats up way above the thermostat limit (at least that's what the cluster points at) and then finally cools down at 3/4. Could the temp. sensor be fooling me? It does smell heated and then gives off a radiator smell once it starts cooling.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Did you bleed the air from the system? I ran into this problem with my 3.4 I would pull the coolant sensor from the cylinder head when cold then fill the radiator until water would flow out of the sensor hole. Reinstall sensor and start car.
    If the water is circulating properly you will get heat inside the car. If you don't have heat when engine is up to temp you still have air in the system.

Light Throttle
    I had a similar problem with the 3500 in my Fiero. Very stubborn air lock. I eventually gave up and just removed the t-stat to prevent overheating but I'm gonna be reworking the cooling hose routing again to try fixing the problem.

Since it has been getting pretty hot around here I ended up taking the thermostat out and simply waiting a bit longer when starting to warm up. However, i'd like the fans to also come on sooner. I have tried the green 'J' wire but I think that failed to work last time. Would a switch on the relay or at the motor be reasonable?

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Full Throttle Extreme!
    You will want to use the relay wiring if you are going to hook up a manual switch. Do not use the heavy gauge wires you want to use the smaller gauge wire at the relay that turns the relay on. Your other option is to have your ecm programmed. You can send it out and they can change it to what ever temp you want it to turn on and off.
    I had mine done at British car conversions.
    http://britishcarconversions.com/sho...reflash-detail
    Last edited by 3.4 grape of wrath; 04-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks Wrath.
    I am planning on doing a reprogram using TunerCAT (I think) once I get all my interior wires situated accordingly.
    I ran it today/last night and the cooling system is just peculiar IMO. It would heat up on me fine and slow (since it is without the therm) but then would not cool even as I drove on the freeway. I had to pull over from time to time to just let it cool with the relay jumped.
    I am thinking that without the thermo, will the system have sufficient backpressure to pump water fully through? I filled the water once I got to my destination past the fill that it even spilled out.
    Also, the top hose is sometimes squished (as if under pressure).

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Not sure whats going on there. I would think without a thermostat it would be running cooler all the time but never removed mine. I ended up buying the tunercat software for my car it's a must have IMO.

On mine, when the top hose would compress/squish, it was because there was low pressure in the system. It would heat up, high pressure would send coolant into the overflow tank, but when it started to cool down, an obstruction in the overflow tube wouldn't allow it to draw coolant back through. I kept thinking I was loosing coolant through intake gaskets or something, turned out it was overfilling the overflow.
    Zahn

2009 CTS4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger 4.0 XLT
    2000 GrandAm 3.4 GT
    1994 Firebird 3.4 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
    On mine, when the top hose would compress/squish, it was because there was low pressure in the system. It would heat up, high pressure would send coolant into the overflow tank, but when it started to cool down, an obstruction in the overflow tube wouldn't allow it to draw coolant back through. I kept thinking I was loosing coolant through intake gaskets or something, turned out it was overfilling the overflow.
    I was thinking the exact same. The overflow rubber pipe is thin and a gunk of rust would most likely block it.
    I will getting a(nother) 160* thermostat today and I hope this keeps it running well. I ran a switch through the relay so the fans are in MY control now hoohahahaha.
    Though when I ran it back to school last night it had no heating symptoms. I coasted through the freeway barely at 160*. Coolin' it.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel