Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 3.4L/3400 Hybrid Build

Hey Kool, the camaro has been on the back burner a little bit as I just got engaged. I had the cam bearings pressed in at the shop so I'm not entirely sure what they are, although I did make sure to stress to the mechanic that I would be using a lot beefier of a cam and he said he'd use more heavy duty bearings. I have the crank and pistons in and I'm currently just waiting on funds for the lifters, springs and injectors, then it's just a gasket exchange and I can get some serious work done in the reassembly. I'll post when I get those parts and instead of going through everything first and stressing I'm finding it easier to just go piece by piece haha. I'll definitely pm you if I have any questions!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeine View Post
    What makes you say the 3-wire sensor makes the gauge read higher? I've used it in several cars and never noticed a difference vs. the old style separate gauge sender.
    I just remember when i first did the 3.4/3500 back in 2008. I did away with the original ECT sensor and the sensor that reads off the iron 3.4 head to use the three wire sensor at the LIM. After doing so, my coolant would read about halfway on the coolant gauge instead of the usual slightly over the quarter mark. The way i see it, is that the ECT sensor and the head sensor are both different anyway, so it seems likely that the coolant gauge might read a little different. Not enough to matter to some people, but i just didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robindehood View Post
    Hey Kool, the camaro has been on the back burner a little bit as I just got engaged. I had the cam bearings pressed in at the shop so I'm not entirely sure what they are, although I did make sure to stress to the mechanic that I would be using a lot beefier of a cam and he said he'd use more heavy duty bearings. I have the crank and pistons in and I'm currently just waiting on funds for the lifters, springs and injectors, then it's just a gasket exchange and I can get some serious work done in the reassembly. I'll post when I get those parts and instead of going through everything first and stressing I'm finding it easier to just go piece by piece haha. I'll definitely pm you if I have any questions!
    Congratulations on the engagement! A big step for sure! If the mechanic said he would use heavier duty cam bearings then you should be good to go then. So then you should have a cam right? What specs did you go with? I know what you mean by going piece by piece. Thats what i've been doing most of this year. My engine should be ready to go in the car soon though. You should post pictures so that we can see the progress!

It's the strip/street version of wot-techs. It's the farthest I felt comfortable going.
    259/265 adv duration
    .506"/.506" lift
    113 LSA
    Didn't feel safe going any more than that :/
    As soon as I get a new computer I'll be able to transfer the pictures I have from my phone but the one I have right now is a complete piece of crap haha

Light Throttle
    Still wanna buy my valve springs?

Yea man haha. Money's just been a bit tight. Rings aren't exactly cheap :S

Just a question for everyone, would the original lifters still work fine? They only had 140,000kms on them, which is only 87,000 miles or so. I believe they would be the flat tappet lifters stock right? Would they still work?

Full Throttle Extreme!
    No, you cannot reuse flat tappet lifters with a new cam. You will have to get a new set of lifters and also do a camshaft break in. If they were roller lifters you would be ok reusing the lifters. I like to soak the new lifters in an oil bath the day before and pump them up with a pushrod to remove air from the lifters.

Damn haha. Thanks for the response Wrath.

Half Throttle
    Any update on this Robinehood? I FINALLY got my 3.4/3500 up and running last week. I plan to have it dyno tuned this summer and eventually swap in the T56 and powerdyne supercharger.

94 Camaro

So....I dropped a 3400 into a customer's 94 Camaro . It runs like a raped ape...It required a bit of work to make it fit....if anyone is interested , I will tell ya what you need to do....it is far from impossible....

Half Throttle
    so an entire 3400 hmm yeah lets hear it.

Half Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by river road auto View Post
    So....I dropped a 3400 into a customer's 94 Camaro . It runs like a raped ape...It required a bit of work to make it fit....if anyone is interested , I will tell ya what you need to do....it is far from impossible....
    Yeah I'm interested to hear more about the 3400 as well

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567