Thread: catalytic converters

catalytic converters

who is using a catalytic converter and why?

what do you recommend?

i'll start, i'm running with a hollowed out cat. why? because mine got clogged a few years back and at first i wasn't able to rev beyond 4500 rpm without severe power loss, and it gradually went down until i couldn't rev above 3000, so i had it removed. MIL has been on ever since, and i always smell exhaust fumes whenever the car is on. i'm currently waiting for the arrival of CIA headers and y pipe and am in the market for a decent cat and O2 sensors. anyone willing to help or offer info, please do, as i am in need of fucking guidance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you removed the cat and didn't tune the sensors out it will throw a code.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

My cat is a hollow shell. Got the car that way. Odds are, it'll stay that way. Rear O2 sensor is tuned out so no light.

If I were running a cat I'd get a Magnaflow high flow.

Sensors, AC Delco or Denso only. Don't use Bosch, they don't usually get along with GM cars too well for some reason. Sometimes you get lucky (like I did) and they are OK, but plenty of reports of problems using them.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Full Throttle Extreme! Turningfast's Avatar
    A what?
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6
    11.63 @118.9 1.63 60' Best trap 119.6
    After almost 30k miles it popped, junk yard L26 going in with a better turbo
    Ooops, I did it again, lol.

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    I put one on my car because mine was hollowed out and I had to have a shop do exhaust work to it. Around here they won't weld exhaust if you are supposed to have a cat and don't. I put on a Magnaflow high flow version. No issues.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

thanks for the info fellas. i tried contacting magnaflow but i got the cold shoulder. if i'm getting clear image headers and y-pipe then should i get the direct fit hi flow cat or universal?

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    Mine was a universal 3" in 3" out but I'm not running headers. I'm sure that you'll be fine with either one. I've found that the universal ones tend to be a bit cheaper.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.