Thread: 1995 3.4 tuner questions

1995 3.4 tuner questions

ive put off messing with my ecm long enough, its time i learn to tune a little. my questions are what do i need to start tuning? id like a setup that i can plug my laptop straight into the car and start messing with stuff on the go. mostly i just want to mess with idle, fan switch point, simple stuff and maybe play with the spark advance and ae a little bit, but the most important thing is being able to plug my laptop into the car so i can make adjustments and feel them real time. its obd1 with the 16 pin obd2 connector since its a 95.

any help or advice is appreciated

also, id like to add a MAS but im not sure how over my head id be with that

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    You need an obd1 cable with an obd2 connector. They're available from several sources. Alternatively you could wire in an OBD 1 connector and use an OBD 1 cable.

For tuning you can buy the Tunercats tuner or even the whole package with cable. For a cheap method you can use tunerpro (free) to make changes to the bin file and use CATS winflash to read/write from/to your PCM.

i feel like a dipshit, but what is the bin file? and can i change things straight to the ecm or do i have to put a chip in?

Light Throttle
    You can flash the PCM right from the laptop. No burning chips necessary.

A bin file is a copy of the program/variables stored in the chip in the PCM.

You can download an appropriate bin definition file to help whatever tuner you use to know where all the variables are stored. For tunerpro, binary definition files have the extension .xdf. I forget what they are for Tunercats.

If you buy the Tunercats tuner, you can modify the bin file and flash/read the PCM in the same program. Winflash is cheaper ($20) but it means you have to use Tunerpro to edit the bin file.

so the bin file is where i would do things like change ae values and delete the egr? cound i also add a mas this way? also, i have a mac, not sure if it makes a difference what tuning software i need, if i have to i can buy a cheap pc just for tuning

Light Throttle
    Yes the bin contains all the variables that you change. It also contains the binary code that runs the engine.

What do you mean by MAS?? Do you mean MAF? If so, that's not possible unless you learn assembler, decompile the bin, learn how to modify the code and implement the code.

I do not believe there is any software out there for macs. You'll probably have to get a cheap PC. Should be easy to find a tuning laptop you only need windows XP and a USB port.

so what would the difference be between modding in the bin file and reading/writing on the pcm?

and yeah, mas, Mass Airflow Sensor, what ive always gone by anyway. i'm working on a boosted application and i figured if i could get an airflow sensor in there i could tune a little more precisely than with speed density, but i'll give that up and work on the tuning a bit before i throw in the turbo.

i'll just save a bit and grab one of those $250 laptops from best buy, the college special type ones. no need for all that fancy shit, its probably going to get a permanent home in the car and never be used for anything but tuning

will i be able to make separate tunes and swap between them? i want the laptop setup so i can make adjustments on the go, but i'd love to be able to assemble an efficiency tune for daily and a power tune for when i need it

I'd like to jump in here and ask, could I tune the cooling fans to turn on at a lower temperature w/ Tunercats? I have the program but have no idea where to begin.
    EDIT: Also, whenever I try to "Read PCM" (with PCM_V6), I get an error message:
    "Error8002 (Invalid Port Number)"
    Last edited by Firebird95driver; 05-18-2014 at 02:04 PM.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

Light Throttle
    Yes you can tune the fans to turn on at lower temps. Your fuel economy may suffer slightly as a result.

As for reading the PCM, is it set to use the same COM port that your ALDL cable is on?

I have it set at COM port4. Also, I won't be needing to add anything to the PCM? (memcal chip?)

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

Light Throttle
    4th gens except for 93 LT1s all have flashable PCMs. No need to modify the PCM at all.

Light Throttle
    Is your ALDL cable assigned to port 4? You can check in device manager