Thread: stupid ideas

stupid ideas

I have a 95 3.4, a 48 cu 4500 psi paintball tank, and bad ideas. I'm wondering, if i plumb the air line into the intake manifold, regulate the pressure down to about 200psi thru 1/4" line, and hook it up to a solenoid, as well as plumb a very small line to the vacuum connector on the fpr to kick up fuel pressure(kinda like a dry nitrous kit), will i see any gains? will it be work it? i have all parts on hand, the only issue is drilling into my intake manifold. maybe i'm just being dumb and drunk, maybe not. input is appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    I don't really see this working out. More fuel doesn't do anything unless you have extra air coming into the engine via forced induction or some form of oxidizer such as nitrous.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

I think this has been done before on some kind of funny car or something years ago. My uncle told me about a car that had air tanks on it to provide the boost, can't remember much more than that though. Seems like the tanks would have to be massive to provide enough volume. Your little tank and line probably wouldn't have any effect, the engine would be pulling more air than the valve on the tank could supply most likely. I'm certainly not an engineer though so who knows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

rhino2104, i was planning to run compressed air into the manifold, the line to the fpr is just to allow more fuel for the air

musicman, the tank holds 88 cubic feet, and i have a 68/4500 as well. they output at 850 psi and can dump in about 5-6 seconds. i was planning to use it as more of a booster shot, like nos, not a constant fi source.

Anyone know the standard cfm intake for a 3.4, more specifically around 3k rpm? tha will tell me how much i can add proportionally. I was also thinking that the air in the tank cools as it dumps, so it could also provide some intake charge cooling
    Last edited by southyness; 12-13-2013 at 02:42 PM.

If you're going to go about doing this...why not just hook up a nitrous kit? You'll get more bang then 5-6 seconds and for the amount of uses out of it, it'll be cheaper then filling up a scuba bottle for 8-12$ a fill.
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR (daily)
    2003 KTM 525sx (Trails/MX toy)
    2007 Chevy Silverado (Toy Hauler/Truck stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by MacSteve View Post
    If you're going to go about doing this...why not just hook up a nitrous kit? You'll get more bang then 5-6 seconds and for the amount of uses out of it, it'll be cheaper then filling up a scuba bottle for 8-12$ a fill.
    because i'm a poor college kid and cant afford a nos rig right now, and i have all the hpa stuff on hand. i also work at a paintball field with a 5000psi compressor that i can fill all i want any time, and where i live has a lot of streetracing, and having a nitrous rig in my car is asking for trouble even if the valve is shut should i get pulled over. a compressed air rig is more liable just to confuse a cop id think

I'm pretty sure if a cop sees you're compressor rig it doesn't matter what you're running. You're getting ticketed.

Do paintball guns run on standard 21% o2?
    I thought they used co2...
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR (daily)
    2003 KTM 525sx (Trails/MX toy)
    2007 Chevy Silverado (Toy Hauler/Truck stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by MacSteve View Post
    I'm pretty sure if a cop sees you're compressor rig it doesn't matter what you're running. You're getting ticketed.

Do paintball guns run on standard 21% o2?
    I thought they used co2...
    well, maybe. but i feel like id have a better chance with an air rig. paintball guns do run on co2, but higher end guns run on high pressure air, off 48ci, 68ci, or 72 ci tanks compressed to 4500 psi. co2 will freeze out the solenoids on higher end guns and air tends to run more consistently

Sell your paintball gear and buy a used wet kit.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I think this has been done before on some kind of funny car or something years ago. My uncle told me about a car that had air tanks on it to provide the boost, can't remember much more than that though.
    That was Don Garlits and if I recall correctly, it did not work.

2014 ZL1 Camaro M6
    1997 RS Camaro A4 (for sale!)
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4
    2009 Kawasaki KX450F

Wow that thing is nuts. Not just the air tanks but the engine mounting too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Gonna eat me some peaches Driver_10's Avatar
    I was wondering if FTV6 was being trolled when I first read the initial proposal. Whether that is the case or not, Ill go ahead and bite.

In a word... no.

You acceleration enrichment values, and ignition timing load are controlled by your throttle input through the TPS sensor. If you are injecting high pressure air to create a "forced induction" effect, just how do you intend on keeping the "forced pressure" in the manifold with the throttle OPEN???

And if you intend on keeping it closed during the high pressure air injection through a "hose to the manifold" then how do you get the computer to recognize the demand for acceleration enrichment???

I would get my high pressure atmosphere using either a super/turbo charger, or a cheap nitrous kit. Leave the air bottle behind the paintball gun.

(BTW... a 48cu/inc tank, delivering air at 20 PSI would not feed that engine long at all, If that's your only source of air.)
    Gonna be quiet again for a little while, so show some patience. It will be worth the wait.
    ...I promise you