Thread: Clutch/Flywheel options for higher power setups.

Clutch/Flywheel options for higher power setups.

Going to make a placeholder post here, I've sent out 5 or 6 e-mails to different vendors. I decided to dig a little and found a few companies in Australia (surprise surprise!).

I'm trying to find a clutch/flywheel combo that will be safe for 600hp/tq at the crank and can deal with street duty without beating myself to death or the rest of the drivetrain (I.E. stock-like manners or sporty but not full race).

Can anybody verify the tooth count/diameter of our flywheel?
    I'm seeing
    142 teeth
    11.924" Diameter
    8-bolt

Flywheels:
    NPC Performance: Billet Steel
    Australian Clutch Services: TBD
    Spec: Billet Aluminum

Clutches:
    NPC has multiple clutch types including a twin plate as seen below (800whp capacity). Seems to be the best bet so far...

This is just the next thing I'm planning for after WOT-Tech completes my kickin' top end. This way I can get the rotating assembly balanced, and then start piecing together the support parts and fuel system...
    Last edited by WarShrike; 12-05-2013 at 01:04 AM.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Light Throttle
    Clutchnet makes a pretty good clutch. I'm running a stage 4 behind my turbo 3500. I drive on the street and track and it's never slipped, boosting up to 14psi with lots of launching at 9 psi as well.

Caffeine, thanks for the info. What power are you putting down?

Got my first e-mail back:

Quote Originally Posted by NPC Performance Clutch
    Hi Dane,

The billet flywheel we make will suit all 8 bolt crank engines. It is just a matter of changing the counter weight (bolt on) to suit different engines. It is made from billet steel.

With the amount of power you are producing you may want to consider our twin plate organic 10.5" kit which comes complete with a dedicated billet flywheel. This style of clutch will drive like factory & retain a factory pedal effort.

We also make a 10.5" billet flywheel to suit the 10.5" chev v8 pressure plate. This kit is normally used with the t56 6 speed transmission.
    2000 Firebird

Half Throttle
    I'm in about the same boat you are... I've heard good about a spec 3+ from a local guy so I might look into that one. I mean if it holds his 780whp cobra, it should be fine for my car. And yea I'm aware they're different, just saying.
    2000 Camaro Y87 3.42s, Built L26, 10:1, ST5 cam, GT35R stock T5. [email protected] RIP 6/21/14.

Gonna have to tag this NSFW now...
    This was in an e-mail from NPC just now, they recommended the 10.5" kit as mentioned in my post above. I asked for pricing and pics if possible.

Here's the Coyote V8 clutch/flywheel combo, the flywheel will be different but the clutch will be very similar. Good to 800rwhp and ~$1800USD + Freight from Australia. MF-ING Ouch. Power doesn't come cheap, folks. Anyway, I figured I'd have to be staring down a clutch/flywheel combo that would come out as a sizeable chunk of cash.

Anyway, PR0N!

This was on their website, single plate, 6 button ceramic clutch kit:
    2000 Firebird

Half Throttle
    Sweet mother of god... that's gorgeous.
    2000 Camaro Y87 3.42s, Built L26, 10:1, ST5 cam, GT35R stock T5. [email protected] RIP 6/21/14.

Light Throttle
    Similar setups to mine seem to put down around 450whp. Clutchnet rates the clutch for 680 ft lbs.

Australia at this point has proven there art to the 3800 v6 plate forms, Doooo iiitttt

Got an email back from McLeod after I found some part numbers!

Thank You for your interest in McLeod Racing.

We can build you a custom one off RST with a dedicated steel flywheel.

Your looking at around $1260.00 + shipping and will take 2-3 weeks build time + transit time to you.
    2000 Firebird

Have you checked with Southbend Clutch? They typically offer 3 variations of different "stage" packages in their catalog; daily, endurance, and drag. Might be another option to check out on this side of the pond.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro