Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3.4/3500 Round Two

Half Throttle
    I just now saw this post. I'm hoping to run around 8lbs of boost with the stock impeller, a 2.87" pulley, upgraded impeller shaft, and all new ceramic bearings. My boost numbers might be lower though since the 3500 top end is so efficient and also being combined with a cam. As long as I make over 300 to the wheels then I'll be happy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Congratulations koolcamaro! This build is awesome. I can't wait to do an engine rebuild/3500 head swap on my old 3.4 this fall!

Half Throttle
    Haha thanks man! I've owned this Camaro for nine years and wanted to do this build the first year I got it! Feel free to hit me up if you need help with the hybrid build.

Half Throttle
    This will be the first post to the build of my powerdyne supercharger setup that will soon be added to the 3.4/3500 hybrid. I was debating whether to start a new thread, but figure I might as well continue this thread since it still pertains to the hybrid. I'll be like Warshrike and have one very long thread. Hopefully this will gauge some interest from other aspiring hybrid builders out there. We all know the 3.4/3500 is a beast. Just imagine how it will run under boost! I know there are plenty of 3100/3400/3500/3900 boosted guys out there and even a couple boosted hybrids. I don't know of any supercharged 3.4/3500's so I may be one of the few. The reason I chose this route is it will still have that factory style clean look to it while still adding tons of power to the wheels. When you start adding turbos, then you have plumbing everywhere. Don't get me wrong, a turbo is the way to go for the most power. However, I'm looking for the cleanest and simplest way to add boost without going nitrous and don't really care about being the fastest car.

I don't have any pics off hand, but plan to post a few throughout this supercharger build. I'd be cool with doing a writeup on how to boost your hybrid if there is enough interest, but lately seems like these forums are slowly dieing.

Anyway, off to the current parts list that I have!

Powerdyne BD11A
    Ceramic bearings
    Jon Bond Performance upgraded impeller shaft(very expensive, but oh so worth it for reliability!)
    Upgraded Gates supercharger belt
    928 motorsports 2.87 pulley(came with the supercharger so we'll see how much boost it makes)
    10"x10" sheet of 6061 aluminum for the custom bracket I will fab up
    powerdyne belt tensioner(came with the blower)
    VW blow off valve(cheap off ebay)
    Autometer boost/vacuum gauge
    Innovate motorsports LC2 widbeand
    Glowshift Dual gauge pod
    metal IAT sensor with adapters
    GTP 2 bar map sensor
    TR6 spark plugs(already have em installed, but will need to shorten the gap once supercharged)
    RAcetronix fuel pump
    Ford SVO 36lb fuel injectors

Parts that I still need:
    Double sided serpentine belt(probably around 80")
    various plumbing pieces
    6 ribbed water pump and tensioner pulleys

I'm currently in the process of installing the 36lb injectors and I'll be sure to post a couple of pics during the install. It's gonna be a pain tuning these guys, so wish me luck. If anyone is interested in my project than drop a comment below to keep this thread and forum alive. I can talk to myself no problem, but it's more rewarding when others are benefiting from this thread and speaking up.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 08-28-2016 at 10:14 AM.

3.4/3400 hybrid build

ive had my car for nearly a year now and while it wasnt too bad on power acceleration theres always a need for more, so i started looking into a 3400/3500 hybrid build, ive done my fair amount of research but while knowing all the things i need to do to make it work theres some information thats always eluded me, if you could send me the measurements/ part numbers you used to complete your hybrid id greatly appreciate it as this will be my first build and up until now ive had a very tight budget due to a $200 taillight ticket that turned into a giant fiasco, my radio being stolen out of my car in my high school parking lot, as well as spending nearly $600 on a custom exhaust i still have yet to be made, ive recently come into a 3400 from a 2001-2004 grand am gt from a coworker who wrecked his car, along with other expenses i havent found the time to seriously start buying parts for this (i had to replace my fuel pump as it gave up in a taco bell drive through on my lunch break) mainly im looking to do this in the most painless way possible as ive had a sort of run of bad luck with this car but i wouldnt trade it for the world, apologies for being a bit scatterbrained in this reply this is the only time ive ever posted to a forum seeking advice, id would greatly appreciate if you could get back to me

Half Throttle
    let me know where you find a 6 rib water pump pully.

Half Throttle
    My car has a big problem...it whines!

The supercharged 3.4/3500 is up and running. I am currently in the process of moving so car is parked for a few weeks in a different state. There is one problem with the setup and that is that I'm not able to go past 3lbs of boost which I'm pretty sure is a result of using a cheap ebay blowoff valve. When I go back to pick up the car I am installing a high quality blowoff valve which should fix that issue. Fabricating the supercharger bracket was the hardest part of the install and I had to redrill the mounting holes a couple times along with paying someone to extend the bracket by welding more aluminum to it. Will upload a few pics later tonight.

As for part numbers and such, I plan to getting around to listing every single part number on my engine sometime. This way i help others who wanna build up their hybrid and a way to re-order something without having to do a ton of research to find it again. I plan to list all part numbers from the clevite rod/main bearings to the ARP rod studs all the way up to the double sided Gates serpentine belt that I found to work with my supercharged application.

For the 6 rib water pump pulley what I did is took my ASP underdrive crank pulley(same size as water pump pulley) and had it modified at a machine shop by boring the center hole and matching the bolt pattern. Then basically you flip it backwards and it installs perfectly over the water pump. I shimmed it forward a bit with some washers and the help of a water pump stud kit. Cost of machine work was $50. You could also have a custom pulley made which would cost something over $100 last i asked ASP.

Half Throttle
    Cant figure out how to upload pics to this website so dunno

I just found this.....im all ears keep it goin. I dont have a camaro but i am starting a hybrid build.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345