Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3.4/3500 Round Two

Half Throttle

3.4/3500 Round Two

So some of you might remember me. I started collecting parts for my 3.4/3500 in the years of 2007-2008. The summer of 2008 is when I decided to perform the engine work on my 3.4/3500 and unfortunately I failed. Couldn't ever figure out how to make the car run right on 11.5 compression with the 3500 heads. This was all on a 95 Camaro with the 3.4 for those of you that don't remember me or new to me. So anyway, after all the trouble with the 3.4/3500 (not going into detail here) I decided to go with the full port/polish 3.4 iron head setup to satisfy my need for speed at least temporarily. It was pretty fast ride with the ported 3.4 top end and the 260 cam among other mods. After enjoying this setup for about a year I decided to finally de-mod the Camaro and work toward re-doing the 3.4/3500, but this time with low compression pistons and better parts. Now I have been slowly collecting parts for the past two years and am getting ready to build this car back up again. I have already started tearing into this motor as we speak. Here are some pics:
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 08-11-2016 at 04:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    This is just to give everyone an idea of what my car looks like and show the beginning of my engine build. As of now, the engine is stock except It still has the fully ported/polished iron 3.4 heads leftover from the previous build. I sort of needed to slap those on so that I could drive my car from my parents house in Tennessee a thousand miles to the military base to where I am stationed. Now that I finally have my high school car at my house, I can finally give it the much need TLC to get this 3.4/3500 going again.

As of now, the mods currently on the car are as follows:

LS1 rear end- Zexel Torsen LSD, 3.42 GM gears, TA performance cover, Moser axles, and full rebuild (Timken bearings) by yours truly
    UMI 3 point sub frame connectors
    T5 transmission swap(originally 4L60E)---soon to be T56 (sitting in garage now)
    One piece aluminum driveshaft
    Magnaflow exhaust (currently 2.5", but have a 3" from my last build)
    18" corvette ZO6 wheels (I guess its a mod, throwing it in anyways)
    Tunercat software( played around with it a bit, will be a tremendous help for the 3.4/3500)

Other mods will be mentioned later as I don't feel like bringing them up until they are installed on the car or engine. I have a pile of parts that I've collected from good deals and what not. I will keep everyone updated on this build. I have less than a year left in the military and want to get this project finished!
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 07-30-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Cool. Looks like fun
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Half Throttle
    Removed the cast iron heads and exhaust manifolds today. Didnt make that big of a mess with the antifreeze spilling, probably since I've done this so many times already haha. Man, the first time was a mess! Looks like Arez (from these forums) should be in a good mood because these heads have been sold to him for awhile now. Looks like next weekend I can start removing the transmission and getting the shortblock ready to go on the stand.

Half Throttle
    So since I am swapping over from a T5 to a T56, any ideas on how to figure out exactly how much my driveshaft will need shortened? My guess is to measure the difference on where the output shaft sits in relation to the car with the T5 installed and the T56 installed. Maybe mark the car for each position and the difference is how much will need to get cut. Am I way off or does someone have any better suggestions or experience with this?

Driveshaft is the same.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Half Throttle
    The driveshaft must be shortened, but probably because of the adapter that must be used. This swap has already been accomplished by a few people and the one guy that I know that did this is Linxs. Here is the thread where he walks us through his T56 swap in a Turbo 3800 Camaro.
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...d-it-s-running
    I tried asking him some time ago about the dimensions of his driveshaft. He was unable to answer as I believe he had already sold most of everything that made the car what it was.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 11-12-2013 at 09:55 PM.

actually no the driveshaft dose not need to be shortened. The length from the front of the bellhousing to the end of the tailshaft is the same for both the T5 and T56 leaving maybe a 1/4 inch adapter plate that will need to be added. most people IIRC use the LT1 version with an adapter that keeps the L32 bellhousing allowing the total length to be within a tolerable difference

*Ahem*

I'm the most recent T-56 swapper here, and documented it quite nicely IMO. It's even a stickied thread. Still using stock length aluminum LS1 driveshaft.

I try to keep all my stuff organized in little threads in my project thread at the very top with links.
    See sig, or click here: LINK
    My T-56 swap progress thread: LINK
    My T-56 writeup: LINK
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Half Throttle
    Hmmm. I guess I am wrong than. Sorry, just confusing when one thread says to shorten the driveshaft and another thread says to keep it the same. I definitely have no problem leaving the driveshaft alone as it makes the swap that much easier for me. So far what I have for my T56 swap is an LT1 Camaro T56 and an LS1 input shaft so that it will reach. I will soon purchase "The Gear Box" 1/2 inch T56 adapter along with their extended pilot bushing which will retain my original bell-housing and clutch hydraulics...hopefully. So if all goes well then the only thing I really have to do (modify) is extend the T56 cross member 1/2" and this 1/2" difference will not cause the driveshaft to become too long correct? Not exactly sure where The T56 will sit with a combination of a T5 bellhousing, LT1 T56, and 1/2" adapter. Seems a bit different from your old setup as you used the T56 bellhousing, GTO T56, and 1/2 inch engine adapter.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 11-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Just an FYI, I have their extended pilot bushing. Too big, doesn't fit our crank. Just remembered that.

I think Linxs/Patric also had a 12-bolt or aftermarket rear end, so that might have pushed him to the point where he needed to shorten the DS.

I can get the stock length one in, it's tighter than before to do it, but my exhaust was also making it a challenge. I checked under full suspension sweep and I don't squish the tail shaft gasket.
    Last edited by WarShrike; 11-19-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Light Throttle
    I recently put a T56 behind a 3500 using a RWD flywheel and custom extended length pilot bushing. Used the Speedway Motors TH-350 adapter plate originally then modified an SFI bellhousing backing plate using the adapter as a guide.

Had to clearance for the FWD starter location with both bellhousings but the SFI bellhousing less work to fit properly.

For the RWD flywheel with FWD block I made a 9 1/16" shim to account for the slightly larger ring gear.

Half Throttle
    20131127_220025.jpg

Here is the adapter that Caffeine is talking about from speedway. I was originally going to buy the gear box adapter, but ran into Caffeine's T56 thread and changed my mind. This adapter makes the conversion so much more simpler. At first I was a bit worried seeing that this is only 1/8" thick, but It is a very strong piece of steel so I am no longer worried. I definitely look forward to putting this thing to use in the future

Nice to see you on these forums Caffeine! I know you are usually on the 60degreev6 forums.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 11-28-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast