Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I stole a 2000 Camaro.....

So I stole a 2000 Camaro.....

camaro.jpg

2000 Camaro w/ t-tops
    3.8L V6 5-speed manual
    70,000 miles

>>One owner, weekend driver, all repair and maintenance receipts.
    >>Died suddenly, wife cant drive stick.
    >>Wife spends $1,000 on engine maintenance and tune-ups after car sits for 6 months

Wife wants it gone, today, cash.
    KBB value $6,000-7,000.
    Asking price $3,000 fucking dollars.

>>Work at bank
    >>See this on craigslist
    >>First one there with cash

I have always driven automatic trucks.
    Never regularly driven stick.
    First ever sports car.

>>Sell truck to family member for 6k
    >>Make 3k profit
    >>Want to invest it back into my Camaro

I have very little experience working on cars
    In the past I have replaced a water pump, an alternator, and installed a cold air intake.
    Beyond that, my mechanic experience doesn't extend beyond tire and oil changes.

>>Had Flowmaster exhaust and K/N cold air intake on old truck
    >>After installation, noticed improved throttle response and power at high RPM
    >>Also improved the fuel efficiency enough to pay me back on my investment within a year.

So at the very least I want to improve the intake and exhaust on the Camaro
    It seems there are no forced-induction kits for the V6, so am I stuck with just a cold air intake?
    Is it worth it to to headers back on the exhaust? Or just cat-back? Or just the muffler?

>>Keep in mind Im only working with around $3,000.
    >>If the installs are easy enough I can save on labor and pay for parts.
    >>A new set of tires and an ECU tuner will probly also need to squeeze in the budget.

inb4
    "swap it for the V8"
    "hur-dur, theres no replacement for displacement"
    "install nitrous!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have a turbo kit for the v6 fbody. 900 shipped and you just need an intercooler and oil lines. Where are you located?

as for exhaust everyone loves the magnaflow for these cars but you have all the options the v8s have. even if they say v6 only or v8 only. any exhaust shop can make a catback work. The true dual setups for teh v8s dont work for us though. but then again a good exhaust shop can make miracles happen. Intake, well forced induction you have to make you own or buy someones kit forsale (i have a kit for sale on the cheap). other wise being a 2000 model you can make a slp v8 kit work. tuning is hptuners. They allow computer tuning like no other for our cars. After that simple things like aluminum driveshaft upgrade from a v8, headers unless you go forced induction, and etc.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

I live in Dallas. While im not ready to drop $900 just yet, I may be interested after more research.

So headers-back exhaust upgrade would be a plausible upgrade?

If you have more details/specs/pictures of this turbo kit could you share them here or email them to me at [email protected]?

go to the for sale section of this forum. its the first add. if you scroll down you will see it
    Larry:
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car

I would say exhaust first. If you want loud tsp rumbler or true dual setup, if you want quiter flow master or magnaflow. Headers are a pain to install but do-able. I would say gears. Right now you either have 3.08 or 3.23, you can get a new LSD, a set of 3.73's or 4.10's (personal preference) installed for a little over a grand. That will be your biggest difference in performance.
    Pacesetter Headers, TSP Rumbler, Highflow Cat, 3.73 Gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac posi, Transgo Shift kit, SLP Airlid, K&N Airfilter, Free Ram Air Mod, BMR Strut Brace, 32mm Front Sway Bar, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK TR55 Plugs, Firehawk Ram Air Hood, Tuned by PCMFORLESS

Quote Originally Posted by V6Hawk View Post
    I would say exhaust first. If you want loud tsp rumbler or true dual setup, if you want quiter flow master or magnaflow. Headers are a pain to install but do-able. I would say gears. Right now you either have 3.08 or 3.23, you can get a new LSD, a set of 3.73's or 4.10's (personal preference) installed for a little over a grand. That will be your biggest difference in performance.
    Who you paying to install a rear end for $1000? I'm definitely working in the wrong fucking state lol.
    ~Ryan

A grand for the LSD, the gears, the install kit and the actual install >.> lol
    Pacesetter Headers, TSP Rumbler, Highflow Cat, 3.73 Gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac posi, Transgo Shift kit, SLP Airlid, K&N Airfilter, Free Ram Air Mod, BMR Strut Brace, 32mm Front Sway Bar, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK TR55 Plugs, Firehawk Ram Air Hood, Tuned by PCMFORLESS

or come to florida and just buy my spooled 4.56 rear end. comes with moser axles, solid pinion sleeve thingy, and lt1 disk brakes. no abs thing but for 300 bucks and your old axle i'll swap them in a days time. boom cheap upgrade
    Larry:

dont ask
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_l82 View Post
    or come to florida and just buy my spooled 4.56 rear end. comes with moser axles, solid pinion sleeve thingy, and lt1 disk brakes. no abs thing but for 300 bucks and your old axle i'll swap them in a days time. boom cheap upgrade
    OP
    What rear is in your car now?
    I have a 3:73 in my ride now and would be willing to swap (depending on what you have) for $100 (my labor and time in my garage 2hrs)
    I'm in Arlington

3:73 is a sweet gear for the 6'er especially NA
    Dan

2000 model v6 5 speed should be a 3.23 open rear unless Y87 car. and you know what those got. (if i had a 3.23 i might keep my turbo.....)
    Larry:

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    You probably won't get much "swap a v8" around here. First question, what are your goals with the car? Do you just want a fun daily driver? Are you looking for a track monster? How much noise are you willing to deal with?

If this is your only car I don't recommend doing much to it as it sucks to be working on your daily driver all the time.

That being said, the first thing that I would consider investing in is suspension components. It will make your car more fun to drive on a daily basis and you are going to have to upgrade that if you are planning on putting any power adders on it. You may as well get the ground work done now instead of playing catch up or breaking more parts later.

Exhaust, stay away from Flowmaster. Hooker has a nice set up, Magnaflow is great as well. You can pick up a turbo muffler from Summitt for cheap (Summitt brand from Summitt racing) and the flow well, sound nice, and are pretty quiet.

If you are going forces induction then you need to figure out super charger or turbo? I suggest turbo as you can pick up a few home built kits here and there for cheap. Turbo also means that you don't have to buy headers if you get a full kit like Triple_l82 is offering. That is a tried and proven kit too. With a supercharger your options are slightly more limited. An M90 won't fit without work and I mean quite a bit of it. There are a few people who have tried. There are no kits commercially available for centrifugal so you'll have to engineer and build a bracket that route.

At the end of the day there are lots of options. They are just going to take time to research and build as there isn't much off the shelf aftermarket for these cars.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

I agree with Dustin. Having a DD that becomes a toy sometimes sucks. Basic things are good for a DD. Lower it, shocks, sway bars, SFC's, LCA brackets, new bushings all around. Then do an intake and an exhaust (headers back). Don't worry about a tune b/c bolt ons don't need a tune. Then leave it alone until you have a second vehicle.

My Camaro was my toy and DD for 7 years and sometimes it was rough. Suspension shit was easy b/c it gets done fairly quickly. Intake is 10 minutes, headers don't take long if you have common sense, exhaust is easy as well. But the turbo kit was a nightmare b/c I had to modify it to make it fit right. Luckily I had access to other cars to get me around. Now that I have the truck I don't really care if the Camaro goes down for some reason b/c I just hop in the truck and fix the Camaro when I can. I practically bought the truck just so the Camaro could be a dedicated toy/project and I wouldn't have to worry about down time. The M90 project would not have happened if I would not have bought the truck. Granted all things on the Camaro are now down to a science on fixing and usually nothing takes very long, but if it was my DD I'd be fucked.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

OP, I'd honestly take up Usd2Sing up on his offer if you have the right gears for him. He'll open your eyes in a way that will take you far away from the land of "Cold air kits" and "Jet chips."

Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing View Post
    OP
    What rear is in your car now?
    I have a 3:73 in my ride now and would be willing to swap (depending on what you have) for $100 (my labor and time in my garage 2hrs)
    I'm in Arlington

3:73 is a sweet gear for the 6'er especially NA
    Sounds like somebody needs more load on their drivetrain for something with a bigger radius...

Last edited by WarShrike; 10-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Where would be the best type of place to get brand name exhaust installed, headers-back. Like a full Manaflow dual cat set up or something.

Cold air intake is totally within my ability.

Is there an ECU tool I can use to optimize performance?

Magnaflow sounds great on a v6, really liked mine. Their kits are well made, if you have a floor jack, stands, and some basic tools you can do the install yourself. Hardest part is usually getting the old rusted junk off. PCM4Less can set you up with a good mail-order tune once you get enough done to justify it. Tunes really aren't a big deal until bigger mods, like say a camshaft. More what they do for stock cars is adjust the temp the fans come on (goes with a cooler t-stat), firm up and change shift points, and maybe some very slight fuel and timing changes to go with the headers and intake.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast