Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ditching fly by wire

ditching fly by wire

Anyone ever got rid of the fly by wire on there fbody? I want to go to a cable TB setup and was wondering if I can do a eady convert with another TB from another car or do I hace to get the upper intake and TB from a 97 camaro and harness and computer?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Why would you convert backwards? Don't get me wrong I like my cable driven TB's, but don't see many go back to cable from DBW.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    Ive heard cable driven has a crisper response. Im not sure its worth whatever work needs to be done but going back to a mechanical type of throttle I would think would be easier than the other way round at least.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

It is, stock, but you can tune the 99+ computer to be a lot faster than stock also. Probably a heck of a lot easier than converting, especially since you'd have to do something about the computer's tune anyway.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

I got a lot of stuff done to car and I want a wot switch on tb not under pedal. (For the nos) and if the fly by wire goes out. Its 700 bucks for a tb. Just trying to see if Nybody has done this before. I cant find anything anywhere where someone has done this. Was thinking of grand prix tb. It has iac and tps built into tb unlike the UIM on the fbody. That way I wouldnt have to swap UIM maybe just swap harness oedals and computer out of a 98 or whatever has cable tb. I think it was 95-98 fbody. Also think a ls1 tb would work but would have to find out what kind of maf I would need

Was kind of hopeing I could use the wires going to the tb on my 99 and convert them to work/wire uo a iac and tps

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    Realistically you're fine with your 99+ tb. I'm sure it is possible but never really done because it isn't needed. And if you're looking for snappier response you can tune it as has been said. You can also use a lighter flywheel, rods, and pistons.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Just curious why you don't use an ECU controlled switch? I don't know how it works on the 3800 because I never used it but I would think a TPS switch would be superior to just a pedal switch? The TPS is built into the throttle body on it. The IAC is on the tubing going from the intake to the TB so I have no idea why you would need a GP throttle body.

I fail to see the advantage of going back to cable driven... Englighten me?
    ~Ryan

Seen this first hand on a members car. I prefer cable for the feel.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

^I'm moving to cable for more than feels

OP, it's possible, you're gonna have to mess with it to get it to work correctly. Same goes for having to be a contortionist to get the new pedals installed. It effing sucks.

Also, in before "It'll never idle," or "Intake gasket leak."
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Hunting for 10's
    ^^^^^^^^^ it doesnt idle!!!!!!!!

97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

dont ask
    There are plenty of options to reach your design intent without going backwards in technology

Three wires on the tb harness (4 if you use a full window switch setup) to tap in to
    Done

Loose the caveman train of thought, embrace the 21st century
    Dan

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    ^ If you want to know anything about nitrous listen to this man. I'm willing to bet that he's forgotten more about these cars than most of us will know.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing View Post
    There are plenty of options to reach your design intent without going backwards in technology

Three wires on the tb harness (4 if you use a full window switch setup) to tap in to
    Done

Loose the caveman train of thought, embrace the 21st century
    Well at least I know I wasn't wrong about wiring into the throttle body haha.
    ~Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast