Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 98 v6 Camaro won't go over 20 MPH?

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar

98 v6 Camaro won't go over 20 MPH?

I was driving to the store, then I came to a stop sign on a slight hill. Went to take off and it didn't want to move? Heard a faint metal to metal rubbing. I checked all the gears had no reverse.

Put it in drive I could get it up to 20 mph then it would just rev up. ( is this limp mode? )

I check the trans fluid and it look good. I have the s-10 converter in it with the trango HD-2 shift kit.

Recently I've been feeling a slight vibration around 45 mph that wasn't there before if that helps.

Ok so let me know what you guys think went wrong, thanks.

1998 v6 Camaro btw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by hevymetalg; 10-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Put it on jack stands and then put in gear. If it doesn't start moving te tires you might have trans issues. I'm pretty sure if it limps a code pops up.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

No code man wtf?

I got some video, just gotta figure out how to up load it here lol!

98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Stick or auto?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Auto with that S-10 converter mode.

Here's a video link

http://youtu.be/kg8SQS4t6RA

http://youtu.be/iCHrSkDWah0

Tomorrow after work I'm going to drop the pan and see if I can see anything. So far the fluid looks and smells normal? Man I'm puzzled?

You aren't always running without the inspection cover are you?

1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    You aren't always running without the inspection cover are you?

Maybe? Why?

I only drive in nice warm whether.

It's either yes or no....

Just saying you have a flywheel and tc spinning back there and it would suck to have something bounce up there or you try to straddle something that you don't quite clear....

1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

That's cool man, your right.

So you think my trans is toast or the converter went ( either way it's new trans or rebuild)

Oh we'll looks like I got my winter project.

I kinda think its the converter. Do you have HPT? When I had what I thought was a bad TC I was told to scan the input and output shaft speeds and compare them somehow to see if the TC is slipping.... Can't remember the whole thing.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

You need a cat back. It'll give some more power
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR (daily)
    2003 KTM 525sx (Trails/MX toy)
    2007 Chevy Silverado (Toy Hauler/Truck stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by MacSteve View Post
    You need a cat back. It'll give some more power
    I have manga flow cat back system

Is you car tuned for the cat back? If not tuned you'll never get over 20
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR (daily)
    2003 KTM 525sx (Trails/MX toy)
    2007 Chevy Silverado (Toy Hauler/Truck stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by MacSteve View Post
    Is you car tuned for the cat back? If not tuned you'll never get over 20
    It's been on all summer and I've had no issue.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast