Thread: Took new set-up to the track

Full Throttle Extreme! Turningfast's Avatar

Took new set-up to the track

Rough night, but getting there. Still tuning it, but got a best of 11.7 @114. Unfortunatly developed a bad secondary ignition misfire on the 11.7 run right after 1/2 track, so a lot left in it. one 12.4 @117 (lots of wheel spin), a few 11.9s at 117, and the 11.7. Here are some inside and outside car vids. I will warn you for the outside car vids, mi wife is not the best camera handler, lol. Take your motion sickness meds, haha.
    12.4 vs STI

11.9 117 vs 5.0 stang 2nd to last run when the misfire started

11.7 @114 vs ss. Got it out of the hole good and was getting the tune good, ran great before it started misfiring, my best ever 1/8 mile mph by more than 1 mph. Could have been better if the second half went good. Listen to it misfire, lol.

Some of the outside car, wife botched it, lol.

An 11.9 run vs turbo honda, really only putting it here cause it's funny. After the start my wife went into outer space and then came back and focused on the wrong red car, lol!
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6
    11.63 @118.9 1.63 60' Best trap 119.6
    After almost 30k miles it popped, junk yard L26 going in with a better turbo
    Ooops, I did it again, lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! Makes me miss that unique sound. Also pisses me off, LOL, I was running the same mph with my stocker, stupid trac-lock was shot and the turd wouldn't launch, 12.0 was my best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Phone doesn't show sigs, stock l26 right? I can't remember

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Yes
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6

Mine did the exact same thing and closing the plug gap to .025 helped it and at times i was too fat on the A/F towards the big end. Leaning it out showed improvements but ultimately, the REAL problem was the ICM going out. Always ran great until one day it started misfiring like crazy on warmup then would run great for weeks at a time. Changed the ICM and it solved it.
    Also i recently has a 2003 monte Carlo in the shop that did some seriously weird shit and it ended up having HALF a bad crank sensor. It was getting the 18x pulse but would randomly drop the 3x pulse. No codes but freaky misfires as it reverted to batch fire when the 3x took a hike. Makes me wonder about the reliability of the dual sync crank sensor these damn systems use.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

I have mine gaped at .028. The last few times I drove it before going to the track it would randomly misfire every once in a while on a cold start. It has 140k on the stock coils and module, so I was planing to throw some new stuff at it. The misfire is probably a bad wire on the right bank, I need to get a cut to fit set so I can route them better. It was rich, but it liked it. On the street i run around 15 degrees of timing with no KR, but at the track it was pulling a lot out, only ended up being 9* after it was pulled out. I had drained my washer fluid res and ran 100% meth and my afr dropped to low 10's. Tried taking fuel out of it and KR got worse, added fuel and it got better. FWIW this heap has always liked being on the rich side, with the 5050 mix of meth it likes to be around 10.8 afr. I actually need to replace the wide band sensor befor my next outing, it's seen a good amount of leaded gas so it may not be 100%. It's older than the narrow bands, and they are starting to throw slow responce codes, lol. Every run was a new tune and I had picked up >3mph up until the misfire showed up. It was pulling hard on that run, and the trap if clean should have been over 120 i would think. I'll get it sorted out the rest of the way next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Turningfast View Post
    I have mine gaped at .028. The last few times I drove it before going to the track it would randomly misfire every once in a while on a cold start. It has 140k on the stock coils and module, so I was planing to throw some new stuff at it. The misfire is probably a bad wire on the right bank, I need to get a cut to fit set so I can route them better. It was rich, but it liked it. On the street i run around 15 degrees of timing with no KR, but at the track it was pulling a lot out, only ended up being 9* after it was pulled out. I had drained my washer fluid res and ran 100% meth and my afr dropped to low 10's. Tried taking fuel out of it and KR got worse, added fuel and it got better. FWIW this heap has always liked being on the rich side, with the 5050 mix of meth it likes to be around 10.8 afr. I actually need to replace the wide band sensor befor my next outing, it's seen a good amount of leaded gas so it may not be 100%. It's older than the narrow bands, and they are starting to throw slow responce codes, lol. Every run was a new tune and I had picked up >3mph up until the misfire showed up. It was pulling hard on that run, and the trap if clean should have been over 120 i would think. I'll get it sorted out the rest of the way next time.
    so your running a stock cam also? how much boost on these runs and what turbo are you running?

Yes, stock engine. Gt35 a little over 20 psi, but not completely sure.

Full Throttle Extreme! 1DangerousV6's Avatar
    nice vids. good job vs the 5.0 and sti. glad to see you boys and girls are still pushing the limits. where's turbov6camaro?? why are you not running 10's yet man?? lol
    Last edited by 1DangerousV6; 02-05-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    12 SECOND DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO
    Camaro World Magazine Featured Camaro March 07
    Bests: ET [email protected], MPH 104.7, 60' 1.75 - Stock TC, 0 - 60 MPH 3.1 sec
    www.12secondV6Camaro.com

nice runs! love that sound haha
    -Jonathan-

Supercharged///260 Rwhp 285 Rwtq flickr
    Automotive Photography