Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85?

Light Throttle

E85?

I recently found out that a gas station near my house sells e85 fuel, i noticed its like way cheaper than normal gas. I was told by a friend of mine that all it would take to run it is a tune. Is this the case or is there alot more that has to go into it. I have also read that using e85 will reduce detonation, could i run a smaller pulley if i start running e85?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! Turningfast's Avatar
    Most likely just a tune really, but it depends on your current injector duty cycle too. To do it right and allow for room for a pulley I would go to bigger injectors and higher volume pump. You have to realize that you need 30% more of it than strait pump. So even under cruise in closed loop if you get 20 mpg with gas, it will drop to about 14 with85. It is like racegas out of a pump though.
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6
    11.63 @118.9 1.63 60' Best trap 119.6
    After almost 30k miles it popped, junk yard L26 going in with a better turbo
    Ooops, I did it again, lol.

Light Throttle
    so does that mean it will give me more power overall, or will i have less because it needs more fuel

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    More power but it takes more.. Burns faster.
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

If e85 ever becomes more available here I plan on running some percentage of it in every tank. The Camaro isn't a gas sipper anyways...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Hunting for 10's
    If boosted which sounds like you are, there is nothing but positives.

more oct
    burns cooler
    Ability to have higher boost levels safely.

Tune, injectors and prob a bigger pump.
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Hunting for 10's
    And if there is atleast 1.00 difference between e-85 and 92-93 oct Your coming out ahead.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by N2OEQIP View Post
    And if there is atleast 1.00 difference between e-85 and 92-93 oct Your coming out ahead.
    Ill do a double check on the price, and see if i can get some info from the hp tuners site on how to tune for this.

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    From a performance stand point there are a lot of pluses. You going to need more injector and fuel pump though. The way flex fuel car know they have e85 after a full up is they run dramatically lean. At that point they switch to a different fueling table. I wanna say the fueling tables in your car would create a 18:1 fuel ratio currently. I personally rather run 110 octane. Plus 110 smells better out the exhaust. That much alchohal has a lot of downsides from corrosive and moisture related side.

If your planning on doing this to save money at the pump your wasting your time. While it might be a dollar less a gallon it takes twice as much of the stuff to go the same mileage. As a result it costs more.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Hunting for 10's
    Sir, it works out if it is 1.00 less then premium. So if it's more then one dollar then you are saving cash. And flex fuel cars have come along ways since two fuel maps. Gm now has sensors that adjust from premium all the way to 100% alc.
    Last edited by N2OEQIP; 08-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Hunting for 10's
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

^ from hptuners fb page. Famous...

I wish it was easily available by me. Closest station is 1 hour away on a toll road . Also gas milage will not cut in half, the difference is right around 30%. It certainly would be cheaper than what I do now.
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N2OEQIP View Post
    Sir, it works out if it is 1.00 less then premium. So if it's more then one dollar then you are saving cash. And flex fuel cars have come along ways since two fuel maps. Gm now has sensors that adjust from premium all the way to 100% alc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turningfast View Post
    I wish it was easily available by me. Closest station is 1 hour away on a toll road . Also gas milage will not cut in half, the difference is right around 30%. It certainly would be cheaper than what I do now.
    Tell that my dad's 2012 flex fuel Chrysler 300 or his previous flex fuel 08 impala. Or the 2012 tahoe rental i had in oregon or the 2013 suburban I had for a rental in South Carolina. Both where 5.3 flex fuel. Both got half the mileage with in 10 miles on e85.The pentastar in my dad's 300 is nearly split in half too. The impala was more than half. The impala was so horrible it wasn't funny I think the 4 speed auto really exposed how inefficient e85 is. The 6 speeds in the trucks helped with double overdrives and the 8 speed in the 300 is unbelievable on e10 but really drops off with e85. Real world is very different then projected numbers.

So How do you figure it works out? I'm using rough estimates for fuel prices and mileages for sake of discussion since it is easier to work with round number for mileage. These numbers are not far off from reality here in il. Infact in Chicago 93 is well over $4 a gallon. Out in the burbs by me it's right about $4 a gallon. E85 by me is roughly $.80 cheaper then e10 based fuel. Not really a great deal.

So let's do a little math.

$3.94 a gal for a 93
    16 gallons to fill up is $63.04

$2.94 a gallon for e85
    16 gallons to fill up is $47.04

Based on real world results I have seen first hand. If 93 gets you 400 miles at $63.04 a tank then e85 is netting you 200 miles at $94.08 for 2 tanks to go the same distance. Significantly more money per tank.

Now Lets up that figure and say we get 300 miles to a tank of e85. That is a additional $23.52 we are at $70.56 to go 400 miles still $7 more to go the same distance. This is a real stretch as i yet to drive a flex fuel vehicle running e85 actually pull that kind of efficiency off in real world conditions.

So I don't see any savings here.

E85 is inefficient. It has been proven many times over corn based fuel is the worst fuel you can use. Sugar cane based ethanol is signifgantly more efficient it nearly rivals e10 unleaded fuel. Long story short straight gasoline is still the one of the most efficient forms of fuel. As far as I'm concerned and most other people who understand automotive internal combustion engines at a fairly advanced level feel alcohol has no business being in our standard passenger vehicles engines.

So I stand by my previous statement of it isn't worth if for saving money at the pump. Also quite a few flex fuel cars still use dual fueling tables. It just different variations of how it is used now. They also have additional stuff to help determine when e85 is used. One thing i have noticed is e85 cars seem to handle bad gas better then non flex fuel cars. The one thing that has really helped e85 is all the gear ratios in the trans these days. Having 6-9 speeds or even cvt really helps keep the engine in its peak efficiency range.

Now for performance e85 has its advantages especially when power adders are involved. Thing is you could duplicate a lot of those same results with c16 maybe even 110 octane.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

It can't be beat from a performance standpoint, cost vs what you get. Saying you could duplicate with c-16 is part of the cost effectiveness. Guess which one is well over $10 dollars more a gallon. Shit, the closest vp distributer near me sells c16 for 90 for a 5 gallon can.

Hunting for 10's
    Hmmmm My 2013 GMC work van must have been touched by god...... I notice a few less miles per gallon but the offset at 2.19 a gallon vs 3.47 for 89 w/ 10 percent its cheaper to run e85.

The computer straight up reads what fuel is coming through it (sensor) and adjusts from there.

The argument c16 is better. At nearly 10.00 a gallon here vs 2.19 of e85, you'd be fuckin nuts to run it, or not care about money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast