Thread: City water causes deposits- any solutions

Light Throttle

City water causes deposits- any solutions

Hey guys, so i washed my car a few times at home ( i recently moved) and i kept getting these spots on the paint and windows, i finally narrowed it down to the city water we use.
    I was wondering if they made any sort of filter for the hose or some chemical that will prevent this. At this point im stuck going to the car wash.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mr Clean has a car wash kit which works pretty well to filter the water.

To get it off a nice buff job will take care of it. In the future dry tour car off every time you wash it
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Light Throttle
    Yeah buy a pack of microfiber towels. And if you use the open hose method it really cuts down on the amount you need to dry.

No microfiber, get The Absorber. The car has to be PERFECTLY CLEAN. I always wash each body panel twice (sometimes three times). I also clay my car every so often to keep contaminants off. Then a good coat of wax.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Contributing Sponsor

What is this washing you guys speak of? I haven't washed my car in years mostly because of I do it peels more paint lol. The dust on it keeps the rust away haha.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Mr Clean has a car wash kit which works pretty well to filter the water.

To get it off a nice buff job will take care of it. In the future dry tour car off every time you wash it

what was the name of that kit? i checked on Mr. Cleans website but i couldnt find it

Quote Originally Posted by 04LSS View Post
    what was the name of that kit? i checked on Mr. Cleans website but i couldnt find it
    Google "Mr Clean Autodry Carwash Kit" and you'll find a bunch of sellers. I want to say WalMart has it.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B

Are you washing when it's hot and full sun? Sounds like water spots are leaving those deposits on your car.

I like the waffle weave drying towels, they pick up a ton of water. Followed by the water blade as a close second for quick drying, but they don't get everywhere as easily as the towels will.
    2007 Acura TL Black on Black w/Navi
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Sold

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Google "Mr Clean Autodry Carwash Kit" and you'll find a bunch of sellers. I want to say WalMart has it.
    I thought they quit making it
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by White94Bird View Post
    I thought they quit making it
    I could be wrong but I thought they did as well.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
    Are you washing when it's hot and full sun? Sounds like water spots are leaving those deposits on your car.

I like the waffle weave drying towels, they pick up a ton of water. Followed by the water blade as a close second for quick drying, but they don't get everywhere as easily as the towels will.

could be, but i never had this level of issue at my old place (well water)
    Our water plant is right next to a very large chemical plant (Honeywell),
    on the subject there are a lot of spots on my windows that seem to be deposits any idea how to get them off (i tried invisible glass)

Light Throttle
    I also have these watermarks on my windshield and t tops and washing and buffing didn't see to remove them, nor imvisiglass. A guy on another forum suggested a vinegar solution which I will try the next time I have a chunk of time to detail

Are you able to remove the water spots after they are on there? My guess is that some will come out and some won't?

Water spots on the paint will need to be removed with a cutting compound and machine. Doing it by hand may lighten them or remove some, but usually they are still visible.

A Machine will create enough heat and friction with a cutting pad/micro fiber to correct them.

If they are on glass, you can try some 0000 thats four zeros steel wool, spray a portion of the window with glass cleaner either windex or stoners and then gently rub the steel wool on it in a north to south and east to west pattern and it should remove them.

Test a small portion to ensure the steel wool does not scratch (it shouldn't, but just do a small patch test in a corner)
    2007 Acura TL Black on Black w/Navi
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Sold

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_99 View Post
    Are you able to remove the water spots after they are on there? My guess is that some will come out and some won't?

Water spots on the paint will need to be removed with a cutting compound and machine. Doing it by hand may lighten them or remove some, but usually they are still visible.

A Machine will create enough heat and friction with a cutting pad/micro fiber to correct them.

If they are on glass, you can try some 0000 thats four zeros steel wool, spray a portion of the window with glass cleaner either windex or stoners and then gently rub the steel wool on it in a north to south and east to west pattern and it should remove them.

Test a small portion to ensure the steel wool does not scratch (it shouldn't, but just do a small patch test in a corner)

Thanks im gonna go by the store and pick some up on my way home from work.