Thread: Strut Tower Brace?

Strut Tower Brace?

Before I waste money Is it worth getting a STB? Does it actually help with steering? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Before I waste money Is it worth getting a STB? Does it actually help with steering? Thanks.
    General consensus is it makes very little to no difference

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    I bet there's the mentality of "oh I got a new part my car must be better" but I totally thought it helped tighten up the front end around corners. And looms sexy in the engine bay

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezz View Post
    I bet there's the mentality of "oh I got a new part my car must be better" but I totally thought it helped tighten up the front end around corners. And looms sexy in the engine bay
    I hear lots of people throwing words like "eye candy" around, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

I'm planning to also add Sway bars in conjunction with STB for added control.

Contributing Sponsor
    Sub-frame connectors are the best to make the car more rigid.

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    I hear it gets in the way if you need to work on the car.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Some say "oh its something else to hold onto while working around the engine." The fuck are you doing in there? This ain't some kinda fuckin trapeze act, its sitting on the fuckin radiator and leaning forward to do what you gotta do.

Get SFC's like John said if you want body rigidity. If you had a 3rd gen I hear its completely different and you should get a STB, but on the 4th gen the front is fairly rigid as is.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    In addition to sway bars it was a hell of an upgrade. But I agree SFC help stiffen the car more than anything else. Woohoo unibody! That's next on my list as well

I'm late to the party but no, it's not worth it. We have a short long arm front suspension with shocks. If we had struts that put a lot of stress on the upper mount then yes a STB would be worth quite a bit. Get SFC's and be take comfort in the fact that you actually made a worthwhile upgrade to the car. I really am going to try to free up time to start posting on here again. Sorry for the long departure guys.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpunk View Post
    I'm late to the party but no, it's not worth it. We have a short long arm front suspension with shocks. If we had struts that put a lot of stress on the upper mount then yes a STB would be worth quite a bit. Get SFC's and be take comfort in the fact that you actually made a worthwhile upgrade to the car. I really am going to try to free up time to start posting on here again. Sorry for the long departure guys.
    YES!

Where have you been man???

Ok back on topic... What he said man^^^^

Sent from an iPhone...sorry
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Full Throttle
    I have BMR STB, UMI rear LCAs, SFCs, PHB, SS front and rear sway bars and my car handles completely different
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

I heard some people don't like strut braces because it adds weight to the front end. You don't want too much stiffness on your struts because you dont want it to "play". I'd go with subframes like said before.
    Last edited by v6pctech; 09-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Len
    Daily Driver
    : 2004 GMC Sierra Vortec V8 Trim, Red. (Eats lots of rice.)
    Sold: 1996 Firebird 3.8L Trim, Red. (R.I.P.
    - 1996-2013)

Been busy helping my dad get his business off the ground and still working and going to school again. Some things are finally starting to slow down a bit so I finally have some free time. I haven't even been to the auto-x or track in so long I don't even remember when. I have been getting the car into better shape though. Just need to get a fresh paint job, a new dash pad, and finish up an 8.8 rear end swap. After that I can finally address things like heads and cam. The problem I've found with both the 3800II and LS1 is you can't justify spending money to upgrade things when they break... since they don't break. The 4L60E was another story entirely, which is why I now have a T56

Staying on target here, if you do get a STB get the cheapest one you can find from someone like founders.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle
    the founders one doesn't fit on the 3.8 V6, the cheapest option is the BMR at 100, thats what I got, it gives me alot more confidence in my steering, but upping the v6 swaybars to WS6 (32/19) sway bars had way more noticeable effect. It did seem to help with those little leaks where the windows meet the edges of the t-tops. once I get the new shocks in the front I expect this thing to be a beast in the corners.