Thread: Demonstrations in Turkey; What do you think ?

Demonstrations in Turkey; What do you think ?

I dont know how many people on here are aware of what has been going on for the past week, but I figured I`d share as not only I take interest in politics because I`m a politics student but Turkey is supposed to be our "motherland" and my country ( North Cyprus ) is obviously always influenced by the politics in Turkey..

The current government ( AKP- The Justice and Development Party ) has been ruling Turkey since 2002 I believe, and I have never been a fan of them simply because of their islamic tendencies, and Turkey is a secular, democratic country since 1923.

AKP was almost dissolved some years ago due to this islamic tendency it has, but they have never openly accepted that. Over the years, they have changed laws about wearing headscarfs and turbans, as previously they were banned from government institutions and universities, they have censored the media and individual rights, banned may day celebrations ( and used excessive violence against protesters )..

Recently, they have banned alcohol consumption in many places and its sales between 10pm and 6am , banned all kinds of alcohol advertisement and the Prime Minister labelled everyone who consumes alcohol as "alcoholics".

Furthermore, he has made statements referring to anyone that has stood up against him as a "marauder" and many journalists and high ranking military officials have been prisoned for simply disagreeing with him.

He has openly threatened the public and has developed dictatorial tendencies, arguing the government decisions are final and the public can not change them.

Last week, a group of 100 peaceful protesters held a sit in at a park, to stop the government from demolishing it and replacing it with a shopping mall ( there are plenty of shopping malls in that area however that particular park is the only green space left ).

The police went on to set fire to the protesters tents and sprayed tear gas and used water cannons on the peaceful demonstrators without warning, and followed with excessive use of violence.
    Since then, more and more people have been gathering on the streets, protesting against this semi authoritarian rule of AKP, fighting for their freedom, individual rights, freedom of speech and freedom of press.

The Turkish media has refused to cover any stories linked with these demonstrations, which shows how AKP is controlling the media, and the police have continued to use brutality, further rising tensions.

There are a number of deaths and thousands of injuries caused by this, and many videos with proof. Even Agent Orange, which is an illegal chemical has been used against the crowds.

There is so much more I`m not mentioning, but I`d like to hear your opinions on this, as religion should be an individual belief, not used by the government to dictate or control people, hiding behind religion is a cowardly, cheap move to justify all your policies, and label your own citizens as alcoholics and marauders, simply because they are secular and democratic.

I`ll attach a few videos for those who want to see the kind of stuff going on.
    There has been solidarity protests all over the world, including here in Manchester..

Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

Koni 4/3 - Strano 35/22 - SFC - 19" Luff M1 Wheels - Pacesetter Headers - True Duals - 234 Cam - 3800 Stall - D&S Rotors & SS Brake Lines - SLP LS1 Lid - Detroit Truetrac & 4.10's - AL.D/S - PCMforless Tune +HPtuners - Taylor 8.2 Spiro Pro- HD2 Shift kit - |||| -- ---- .
    www.fquick.com/98vertFirebird --- www.youtube.com/dt262

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm waiting for the whole if the middle east to be in civil wars because the people rise up against these authoritarian governments.

They have every right to riot but I hope we don't get involved. For once we aren't sending in troops into every little countries civil wars and I like it that way.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'm waiting for the whole if the middle east to be in civil wars because the people rise up against these authoritarian governments.

They have every right to riot but I hope we don't get involved. For once we aren't sending in troops into every little countries civil wars and I like it that way.
    That is true, but Turkey has had its democratic republic established since 1923, and although it was no where near a perfect democracy, it was much more developed compared to other countries in the region.
    What AKP has been doing is basically taking the country backwards in a social and democratic sense.

I doubt the US would ever need to intervene with Turkey, as the Turkish military has in the past taking down governments and if it gets to that point, if the Turkish Armed Forces do get involved in this, the riots wont last too long as most of these demonstators arent political extremists or anything, they are literally the more enlightened part of the society, fed up of being left in the shadows as the government attempts to rule the country in the way they want, without question, and using religion to get support..

I`m also sure no one in Turkey would want to come to such a point of instability and civil war, because the people in the streets, and government opposition are the people who want to develop Turkey and make it a regional hegemon, so a long civil war definitely isnt something they`d want.

I hope the current government will step down and bring an end to this violence, because its too late to take play around with the modern democracy and civil liberties enjoyed in Turkey for almost a century, maybe the AKP people and their supporters should migrate to another country with an authoritarian, islamic regime..

Personally, I`ve been waiting for this day, I have always been annoyed with their policies, taxing the hell out of petrol, alcohol and anything that can be loosely described as a "luxury"..
    and obviously these policies have affected North Cyprus, and even caused a hatred towards Turkey and Turkish people among the Turkish Cypriot public..
    Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

Koni 4/3 - Strano 35/22 - SFC - 19" Luff M1 Wheels - Pacesetter Headers - True Duals - 234 Cam - 3800 Stall - D&S Rotors & SS Brake Lines - SLP LS1 Lid - Detroit Truetrac & 4.10's - AL.D/S - PCMforless Tune +HPtuners - Taylor 8.2 Spiro Pro- HD2 Shift kit - |||| -- ---- .
    www.fquick.com/98vertFirebird --- www.youtube.com/dt262