Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird T5 Issue, Hard to get into gear

Half Throttle
    Well trans fluid is encased in a piece of metal, where a majority of the coolant is contained in a ventilated container. I guess not ventilated, but ya know what I'm saying.
    2000 Camaro Y87 3.42s, Built L26, 10:1, ST5 cam, GT35R stock T5. [email protected] RIP 6/21/14.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Guess ill see when I drive it tomorrow round noon
    1998 Firebird: Turbo Build In Progress
    NIC cam, ARP Head Studs, LS6 springs, LS7 lifters, Flowmaster catback, Ram-air mod.

Just went to a hole in the wall shop here in rock springs and the old timer vacuum bled the system for me (I'd done it but I'm 350 miles from home at a hotel), it feels a tiny bit better but really no change. Can still here a clunking coming from the transmission at a stop while idling in 2-5, but not 1 or R.

My next guess is my tail shaft seal is done for and I have no fluid in the trans. Anyone got an easy way to check that?
    NIC cam, ARP Head Studs, LS6 springs, LS7 lifters, Flowmaster catback, Ram-air mod.

Half Throttle
    If it's only not in the non-synchro'd gears, one would lean towards synchros..
    2000 Camaro Y87 3.42s, Built L26, 10:1, ST5 cam, GT35R stock T5. [email protected] RIP 6/21/14.

That makes zero sense. How could syncros go bad on a non stop 350 mile road trip when they worked fine before the trip.

Light Throttle SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar
    Bent shift fork? When I blew my transmission it bent the shift fork causing the 5th gear synchro to strip out. I had it rebuilt (they didn't replace the shift fork) put it back in and the first drive, first time going into 5th it stripped out 5th again, took it back out and to the shop, they replaced the 5th gear synchro again and the shift fork. Been fine ever since. Sounds like with being hard to put in gear, it's the shift fork cause that's what mine did with the bent fork.
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, stock except C5 Wagon wheels, 5% Tint, Air silencer delete and Dynomax catback.
    Project, 2000 Camaro |3:42's|Auburn Posi|UMI LCAs|UMI PHB|Pacesetters|X-Pipe True Duals|B&M Ripper Short Throw|Intake mods|C5 Z06 Wheels|Powerdyne build forever in progress.|

Half Throttle
    Explain why it didn't effect 1st&Rev? That's my point... those don't have synchros. Making a connection...

Light Throttle SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar
    True, that slipped my mind.
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, stock except C5 Wagon wheels, 5% Tint, Air silencer delete and Dynomax catback.
    Project, 2000 Camaro |3:42's|Auburn Posi|UMI LCAs|UMI PHB|Pacesetters|X-Pipe True Duals|B&M Ripper Short Throw|Intake mods|C5 Z06 Wheels|Powerdyne build forever in progress.|

I used to have this same problem with shifting into reverse, I would have to go into 5th then reverse in order for it to slide in without grinding. Then when I swapped my shifter for a Hurst short shifter the problem went away, dunno why but it did.

Also on a side note a just saw a photosphere picture of Rock Springs, it looks like a very tiny dirt town.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Half Throttle
    I still have to go 5-R with my Hurst...

I never even knew you could go from 5th to reverse o.O I always go 3rd to reverse. Or just let off the clutch in neutral and try reverse again and bam! Synced up

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

Half Throttle
    Reverse lockout doesn't stop you when stationary. Can't do it when you're driving, obviously.

No shit? O.o I never even tried while not moving lol

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    I still have to go 5-R with my Hurst...
    Yeah disregard that, mine still does it. I guess since I do it do much that I don't even realize that I still do 5th to reverse.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12