Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will a s/c series II l67 ecu take a manual trans?

will a s/c series II l67 ecu take a manual trans?

I have a 98 riviera 3.8 s/c motorset. The plan is to mate a 3.8 camaro 5spd trans up to it. Anybody here know if the obdII fwd s/c 3.8 ecu uses any sensors from the trans to run? Im assuming not. My alldata expired :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So you're planning on putting a RWD trans in a FWD car? That won't work. If you want to make your Riviera a manual you have to look at getting one out of a 1st gen Wbody or Fiero

Then again a there might be something I'm missing here.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

I am not planning either.

I have a vintage volvo that Im swapping an l67 3.8 series II supercharged into. When you remove the stock front wheel drive 3.8 engine mount brackets from the block, the camaro rear wheel drive engine mount brackets bolt right up. Therefore, instead of swapping the top end from an l67 s/c 3.8 onto a 3.8 camaro block (which is a direct bolt on, same headgaskets p/n and all). Im choosing to rotate a fwd supercharged motorset and use it in a rear wheel drive layout. On another note. the camaro 5spd trans AND flywheel are a bolt on application to the fwd engine block/crank as they are the same for the series II.

Why you may ask? Im going to keep the stock riviera ecu/harness I have for the 14psi setup Im going to be running. I also favor the boost friendly compression ratio along with the ignition/heads

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    I've wondered the same thing too for similar reasons.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

indeed. I just somewhat remember that NO fwd s/c 3.8s came in a manual therefore.. it makes me wonder

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    Would it be as simple as disabling the auto trans tables via HPTuners or would it have to be more in-depth? It would be nice to know as stock f-body PCMs aren't boost friendly.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Well really the only sensor I could imagine being important would be if the speed sensor ran off the auto trans. I honestly dont think there are any sensors on a gtp or s/c rivi trans that would keep it from running.

I think the way you would do it is transfer the manual tables to the automatic tables using hpt . Or else the pcm might freak out when its telling the transmission to shift
    *Mods*
    Unnaturally Aspired

IIRC you can take a FWD computer and zero out the trans tables if you are running a manual trans. I'll have to look thru my emails with Dan and PM's with FlyinGTP
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    ive only tuned one 97 5 speed v6 and the pcm had all the auto trans tables loaded as if it were hooked to one
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

Quote Originally Posted by rhino2104 View Post
    Would it be as simple as disabling the auto trans tables via HPTuners or would it have to be more in-depth? It would be nice to know as stock f-body PCMs aren't boost friendly.
    I think that's what people do pretty much. There's a few threads out there about a manual swap for the Wbodies.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

hmm.. Interesting. Thanks for the input guys. I'll try and find out each sensor on the trans.

That's what I did with my L36 pcm until I got it flashed w/ a manual trans setup. You'll have to zero out the dtc codes as well because it'll show a long ass list of stuff when the CEL pops up.

I had to switch the polarity of the wires on the VSS sensor going from the auto to the manual trans setup, but that's for an f-body. The polarity might be fine on that harness.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

I have a '67 Volvo two door wagon with an L67/T5 manual. All you have to do is add a pilot bearing to the L67 crank and flywheel/clutch, bellhousing and trans bolt right up. I used a '98 GTP engine and ecm along with a '97 camaro gauge cluster. It all works, been driving the car for years!IMG_9196.jpgIMG_9201.jpgIMG_7601 (640x480).jpgIMG_7604 (640x480).jpg
    Wal-mart, the place we go to buy the things we use to make

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast