Thread: cragar wheels

cragar wheels

can i put 15 inch cragar ss classic wheels on a 96 firebird, with 60s on the back and 70s on the front,will I ave enough clearance?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    Thread moved to appropriate section.

15's will fit a 4th gen f-body...kind of goofy looking personally. The big thing to pay attention to is the back spacing of the wheel. I tried to double check on your sidewall height but the website I used will only go down to a 16" wheel. Perhaps someone else will chime in on the sidewall height. Is there any particular reason you want to go with 15's?
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

15s will not directly fit 98-up fbodies. Not sure how much smaller the front brakes are on a 93-97.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    15s will not directly fit 98-up fbodies. Not sure how much smaller the front brakes are on a 93-97.
    My god, I completely forgot about that. This is what happens when you don't own an f-body anymore. Well I still own two, but it'll be a long time until they move under their own power again.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

I just like the look and style of ss classic cragar, not much into low profile tires like the beefer look of of taller sidewalls

not sure about the cragars, but good luck finding a streetable 15" tire for the back 275+ its basically all drag tires that are available

Ive wanted to go down to a 15" tire myself but can't find the tires.

As far as the rims go you need to match the back spacing and such...I don't see why 15's wont fit up front for you guys...LS1's run 15 skinnies at the track all the time... Again, I don't know the clearances on the cragars to speak to that rim though

Funny, I never considered the the sidewall on most 16" wheel/tire combo to be a low profile. If there isn't a cragar ss wheel made in 16", I'm sure there are a few that are close copies. I wanted to say knock off, but to some that would mean something completely different than a synonym for copy.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

I don't think a wide 15 will clear the front caliper, skinnies don't really need to deal with it.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

From my understanding you can run atleast up to a 15x6 up front, I'm still trying to find out if you can go bigger.

Again, whether you need to grind the caliper goes back to the wheel/spacing...For weld prostars I'm almost positive you do not have to grind...for billet specialties you do; I can't speak to the Cragars. The OP might find the answer easier going over to LS1tech though with this question...those guys have run every rim/combo imaginable over there, and there are a lot more guys running around with 15" rims than over here.