Thread: Alternative Tires

Alternative Tires

I have a 98 Camaro, 3.8L that came stock with 235/55/16 tires. I am in need of new tires and was wondering if I can safely go to a 225/55/16 instead on the same rim (or something else). The only reason I am even considering this is because I am on a budget and the 225s are close to half the cost of the 235s. I'm just using this as a daily driver, so I don't have any particular traction demands. Any recommendations or warnings?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Half Throttle
    Yeah, you can run a 225 no problem.

Yes, you can. I ran 215s on my old car actually.

BTW, we do have a wheels and tires section further down. Would be a little more appropriate of a spot than under engine tech
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Full Throttle
    215/60r16 cheaper and the stock tire size
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

Oops! Thanks Sparky, I will keep that in mind next time. Would 215 really work? I thought that because I have the 55 series tire option v6 that I had wider rims than the base V6, thus 215 wouldn't fill them properly. Do they both have the exact same rims? Thanks for the quick responses by the way.

Nope, the wheels are the same. Aside from looking a little dorky by being so narrow and obviously not having quite as much traction, 215/60R16 works just fine. I ran those the whole time I had my 98.
    - Jared
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Cool thanks. I think I will go with the 225 so that it is a little wider and less quirky looking. Lastly, which would you suggest over the other, 225/55/16 or 225/60/16?

225/55 will make your speedo read 1.7% fast, 225/60 will make it read 1.7% slow. So that really is up to you. I'd rather it read fast than slow just in case 215/60 will make it accurate.
    - Jared

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    BTW, we do have a wheels and tires section further down. Would be a little more appropriate of a spot than under engine tech
    Moved.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

Thanks for the move Phoenix. I understand that there will be a slight speed variance either way. I was more wondering if the added height of the 225/60 would cause any issues. I think it's only supposed to raise the height by a tiny amount, but I'm just trying to be careful.

So I went in to Wally World today and asked if they would mount tires for me that we're not specified by the manufacturer. I already knew the answer would be no, but I was just trying to see what they would say. The mechanic did say that if I bring in just the rims that they would mount various size tires on it. My question is, if I do this, can I go put the new tires on my car and then take it to a shop for balancing/alignment, or will they say "we can't do that, these tires are not made for your car?" Hopefully some of you have had experience with this. Thanks.

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    They should balance them when they mount them..
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Oh, I thought that the wheels were mounted to the car when a balancing was done. Are wheels balanced just on the rims or while they are on your car? I was planning on just bringing my rims in so I could get a different size.

Ok yeah, I just did a little internet searching and yeah, looks like they balance them just on the rims. Still learning Thanks!